GFO questions

olds350racer

Market
Reaction score
I want to get some GFO. I was going to order some from 2parts.
1. Is this as good as any?
2. Can you use too much GFO (aka- pack a fluval 205 full) :)
3. Does anyone else need some GFO (pellets) while I'm ordering?

showthread.php

1. It's better than GAO. My friend at the aquarium said he achieved better results from the 'wet' style(Rowaphos, phoslock, etc.) than he did with the dry style. I don't think it was a very scientific evaluation, though. I would like to assume that the Ga Aquarium does use Rowaphos for a reason.

2. According to Tom Wyatt, he has seen instances of SPS directly under intense light getting burnt tips in the presence of excess amounts of GFO.

3. Not I.

1. GFO is GFO is GFO and you can take that one from Holmes-Farley. The only thing that really changes between them is how "dusty" the media is and surface area. Wash it off and buy the cheap stuff is my motto.

2. I don't think you can have too much GFO, but I am no expert. It would seem any media that binds phosphates, arsenic and silicates can't really be that bad. If someone can post some technical reason why you shouldn't, I would like to hear it.

3. Nope. I buy Phospure from Drs Foster Smith that goes on sale from time to time. I believe it is now and I think it is cheaper at least in the small quantities than twopartsolution.com

i thought that gfo leaches someting that is bad into the water cant remember what it is but its bad thats why its not good to use so much at one time .but i might be wrong

Cameron,
He mentioned it in his talk at our last meeting. I don't believed it's published, or my quick search didn't find anything on it. His ARC name is tdwyatt if you want to ask him about it.

Vic,
If tumbled too fast in a reactor it can cause it to slowly absorbed into the water column where it reacts to form compounds with many of the elements in saltwater. I'll see if I can find anything on that.

Just an example... and proabably a bad one. And Fe(III) is ferric iron oxide, or GFO. It does show the reactivity of Fe(III), however.

source: http://www.chemguide.co.uk/inorganic/transition/iron.html">http://www.chemguide.co.uk/inorganic/transition/iron.html</a>

Iron ions as a catalyst in the reaction between persulphate ions and iodide ions

The reaction between persulphate ions (peroxodisulphate ions), S2O82-, and iodide ions in solution can be catalysed using either iron(II) or iron(III) ions.

The overall equation for the reaction is:

For the sake of argument, we'll take the catalyst to be iron(II) ions. The reaction happens in two stages.

If you use iron(III) ions, the second of these reactions happens first.

This is a good example of the use of transition metal compounds as catalysts because of their ability to change oxidation state.

From the horses mouth (Holmes-Farley)

<ol>
<li>A sudden drop in phosphate may stress certain organisms. This stress might be particularly important to corals with algal symbionts. The level of symbionts existing in a coral may depend to some extent on the availability of nutrients. A sudden drop in nutrients may imbalance the organism, leaving it with too many zooxanthellae for the newly-reduced nutrient levels. Especially if these corals are already living on the edge of survival, such stress may tip the balance toward disease.</li>
<li>In some cases, phosphate levels may drop below natural seawater levels, and phosphate may become the limiting nutrient. If this limitation is severe enough, corals and other organisms using phosphate may well be stressed, stop growing, and become more susceptible to disease.</li>
<li>Similar effects may result from a drop in certain trace metals. Since the effects of GFO on trace elements have not been clearly established in aquaria, it is possible that one or more critical elements may drop below optimal levels.</li>
<li>The release of soluble iron hydroxide itself may irritate certain corals, although many aquarists dose chelated iron without such effects. The iron hydroxide may, however, nucleate the precipitation of calcium carbonate in sub-optimal places, such as tissue surfaces. It may also bind directly to tissues.</li>
<li>The GFO may actually release certain metals other than iron from its surface. I have not seen any data on the chemical purity of these materials, and such issues may be a concern with some or all brands.</li>
<li>The drop in alkalinity and/or pH caused by abiotic precipitation of calcium carbonate would not be expected to be very great in most aquaria, and typically isn't especially large, as reported by the aquarists themselves. In the cases from which I've seen data, the effect is not as great as the variability between aquaria or between dosing events in many aquaria. Still, such changes might be important in some circumstances where conditions are already marginal.</li>
<li>Since GFO binds organic materials, the addition of a significant amount of fresh surface area may rapidly drop the dissolved organic levels. Such a drop may stress corals by rapidly increasing the available light levels, or by reducing a food source, or both.In order to minimize such difficulties, many aquarists start off using GFO more slowly than the directions might suggest. Such caution seems warranted in most cases.</li>
</ol>

and the last paragraph

The bottom line: Would I use GFO to export phosphate? The answer is a qualified yes. Phosphate is such a significant problem for reef aquaria that it should be kept appropriately low (less than 0.03 ppm) in some fashion. There are many ways to minimize the accumulation of phosphate. In my own reef, I prefer to use skimming, carbon, and macroalgae growth to export phosphorus. If these are unsuited to a particular setting, then perhaps GFO is an appropriate alternative.

You can read the entire article here: http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-11/rhf/index.php">http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-11/rhf/index.php</a>

So sounds like you can OD on GFO but the effects are largely speculative.

As always... thanks for the input. I guess I play it safe and not try to pack 5lbs of GFO in the Fluval. :) Seriously, though I think I will keep the experimenting close to the recommended range and go from there. Thanks again.
I don't want to reactivity of my peroxodisulphate to become catalysed before I'm sure of my transition ion's oxidation state! :wow2:
Sometimes I think I'm behind the learning curve here. :unsure:

olds350racer;110335 wrote:
I don't want to reactivity of my peroxodisulphate to become catalysed before I'm sure of my transition ion's oxidation state! :wow2:
Sometimes I think I'm behind the learning curve here. :unsure:

Brother, You're not alone

Back