GHA in my Sump

joeyprice

Reaction score
I've been growing Red Ogo in my sump as a sort of quasi-fuge. Its the only thing in there, so I can't really call it a full blown regugium. Anyway, while poking around under there I noticed that not an insignificant amount of GHA is growing in the Ogo. GHA ANYWHERE in the system makes me nervous, but so far at least there isn't any in the display. Is it normal to have other types of algae growing in there, or should I do something about it?

Why does GHA make you nervous? Seems like a natural part of the reef ecosystem. Tangs, hermits, and snails will keep them in check inside the tank.

If you see a large amount, its a good indicator you have some nutrient issues.

No need to freak out, totally normal.

Why does GHA make you nervous? Seems like a natural part of the reef ecosystem. Tangs, hermits, and snails will keep them in check inside the tank.

Yup!

Not freaking out, just heard some horror stories about people trying to get rid of GHA infestations.

Think of it this way - if you can't grow algae, you can't grow coral :p

GHA will grow in any well-lit tank. Dozens of ways to keep in in control, which is all you can do. Manual removal, as one of the methods, is important in my experience. Occasional manual removal is part of good GHA protocol.

Back