Ghetto DIY

down and outman

Market
Reaction score
Got into a thread on RC that was funny as all get out. Actually got some good ideas. Thought I'd start a thread here and see what happens. I'll start with my "ghetto" sump.

Dollar General trash can with top cut off and weirs cut in top for my skimmer pump.
100_7308.jpg
alt="" />

Sunny D Kalk drip and homemade skimmer.
100_7309.jpg
alt="" />

Board to hold in sides of sump and Wally World 25 gal tub.
100_7310.jpg
alt="" />

5 gal jug with top cut out for a refugium.
100_7329.jpg
alt="" />

Kids blocks for light holders. Cheap plastic stands broke.
100_7330.jpg
alt="" />

Oooo! I can feel an Eminem track coming on!

Under the tank, I was feeling kinda dank, with my DIY and my brothers and I
watching the boardin, around my DIY hoardin
Is site for sore eyes in.

I am a D.I.Y Sumper, aint gonna dump her, she my babe, cos she cleans the waves,
I am a D.I.Y Sumper, aint gonna dump her, she my babe, cos she cleans the waves,
for my 90 gallon aqua, you knows what I am sayin, come in here and feel ma creative, insprational makin.

I am a D.I.Y Sumper, aint gonna dump her, she my babe, cos she cleans the waves.

So far so good. Since there's no LFS anywhere near LaGrange I have to make do as best as I can. I was thinking I could use a powerhead in the refuguim, so when I checked out WalMart they wanted $23 for an el cheapo! I'l wait until I'm in Atlanta again.

Check out the bubbles on this skimmer. Not bad at all.
100_7311.jpg
alt="" />

More bubbles, that thing is solid bubbles. It started out as a recirc. Just couldn't get a consistent flow from the tank. I have an octopus nw pump that overpowers the drain from the tank, so I ran the effluent from the skimmer back into the trash can. Been running it about 3 weeks and still trying to find it's sweet spot. I think I need to get a gate valve.

No, it has bubbles clear to the bottom. Skimmimg some gross skimate now. I found a ball valve that works easier for fine adjustment. The gate valve would have restricted the flow too much. The refugium is working great. Had a little HA and Cyano in my display which is slowly disapearing.
I'm just a po boy trying to do as well as I can. If I would have known what this hobby does to your wallet I probably wouldn't have started it. But I was up to a challenge and I've always been intrigued by marine life, so here I am. Besides, it's fun to have people and especially kids over and watch them go nuts.

Back