Ghost Eel

morganatlanta

Market
Reaction score
I'd been searching for a "reef safe" eel for a while when I saw this guy at Warehouse Aquarium. After doing some research, I found that these "ghost" ribbon eels are not the same as the blue and black ribbon eels that are so hard to care for. These guys are related to morays, and easily acclimate to frozen food. It only took two time presenting this guy silversides stuck on a feeding stick for him to get the idea. Now as soon as he sees one-- BAM!

He's a super cool addition to the aquarium. He spends most of his time in a 1" PVC pipe that I buried under the sand bed, but comes out to "hunt" pretty often, mostly just before lights out time. He's about 24" long, but only 1/2" wide.

He did eat a purple firefish, so you would be limited to fish bigger than that. Definitely no long skinny bottom dwellers. I don't have any shrimp, so I can't say how he would get along with them. Emerald crabs seem to be okay. He tries to eat my pink spot watchman goby every once in a while, but he can't get his jaws around him, and just ends up annoying him. It's kind of funny to watch. My bartlett's anthias and longnose hawk are no problem. I wouldn't put in any juvenile under 2" or so though.

All in all, a great addition.
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
761835=36812-eel1.jpg
>
761835=36812-eel1.jpg
class="gc-images" title="eel1.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

About three feet, but they stay just around 1/2" thick, unlike snowflakes or other morays. Here's the LiveAquaria link, but they don't have them listed currently.

prod_display.cfm

i would assume inverts would still be at risk. if he can catch and eat a firefish, shrimp (and emeralds) are prob not off his diet

I've had a snowflake eel and a banded coral shrimp in my 29 gal for a couple months. The eel tried to get him once but just ended up with a cut nose. So if you want a Shrimp I recommend a banded coral, just make sure you get a big one.

Back