Giant Nem vs Tiny Nem

danh

Market
Reaction score
I got this large nem from a member early last year. It's split once while I had everything in a temp 55g tank. It's now HUGE again. GIGANTIC. Even when it's fully spread it still seems like it's at least an inch thick. The shape makes me thing it's trying to split but it's too thick to get the tear started. It's killing corals close by as is expected....

Then I added this little guy from Wayne that I picked up at the Halloween meet. About two weeks later this clown decided he didn't want the spacious home, or wanted a summer home, or wanted to join the tiny house craze. It's not a tiny clown but after two days of getting harrassed the nem decided not to open back up. It's now in my 5g.

https://youtu.be/8fPRdAVOAfc

jsxlk3bhsg58zn454qwxxndnafri4mpe.jpg
alt="" width="1032" height="1834" />

Anyone have any thoughts on this big nem? It's longer than a dinner plate and continues to stretch even more than in the pic. Is it every going to split?

My huge nem seems to split when it gets to a certain size.  I wish I could figure out how to force him to split himself.  :(. Personally I cant bring myself to cutting him.  But, others members have done it and have been successful.

I don't think I could get this one out very easily. It's so big and so oddly shaped. The part near the foot and the mouth gets maybe 3-4" across while the top is 12"+ across.

A super easy way to get a Nem off a rock is to fill up a bucket or container with tank water.  Then hang the nem over the container so his tentacles stretch down to the water.  He will start to let go of his rock (takes about 15 or so mins).  You can also use your finger to slowly work his foot off the rock where he is attached.  It works everytime for me.  :)

That's a big rock he's on that's under other rocks... and his foot is way down in there. I could get it out but I don't really want to go through all of that trouble just yet. I am trying to feed him every day as well to help him split.

Point a power head directly at it and it will move.  Where it moves may make things better or worse though.

His foot has come out of the hole a little bit. I'm not sure what it's up to. It's noticeably bigger than it was in this video..... After daily feedings......

I figured out how to feed the big nem. Previously, giving it a big piece of shrimp he'd work toward eating it but I guess would frequently lose it before getting it down. Now I am putting a very small piece of shrimp close to its mouth to get its mouth to open. Once the mouth is open I put a big piece of shrimp straight in it. It's as big as my 21" monitor now.

I moved the small one to my 5g where I was feeding it 5 days a week. It split over the weekend.

Back