Glass at Lowe's

hhughes

Market
Reaction score
Does *your* Lowe's carry and cut 1/4" glass?

My well intentioned husband got me a Lowe's gift card to get my baffles cut for Mother's Day. But the camp creek location only carries the thin window pane glass.

No, lowes only carries the 1/16th glass that I've seen. I would not recommend using that thin,

dawgdude;508771 wrote: The near me has 1/8th inch as well. However it is one of the better lowes I have seen.

See if they have acrylic and just go that route.
That's the route I always go.

i not sure what our lowes carries but i know they carry 1/4" acrylic

no, not really, if you have about equal amount of water on both sides it pretty much keeps in in line fine.. besides i have two sumps done this way and one has been up for way over a year so it'll be fine.

Siliconing acrylic baffles to glass doesn't necessarily equal impending failure. When siliconing the baffles in place, use a generous amount of silicone, enough so, once dry and cured, it wedges the acrylic baffle in place, rather than just bond it in place.

dawgdude;508808 wrote: Silicone will stick to acrylic but doesnt bond to it like it does glass. You cant use acrylic to replace one end of a glass tank and expect it to be water tight but it does work just fine holding in place for the purpose you need.

^^

I think that most people don't understand that.. they think that acrylic and glass never go together.. (but often overlook that most glass aquariums have acrylic overflows..)

the one near to me only carries the 1/16th or 1/8th

The one near me only had 1/16. As for baffles it's working just fine. My fuge is holding but I wished I had thicker glass though for that one.

Silicone will only bond to the acrylic temporarily. No bond stregth whatsoever. The reason it works for overflows and baffles is as Dak stated. Using the silicone to "create a dam" against the glass. I do not think I would use 1/16 glass on baffles because of the ease of breaking and I would end up hitting with a pump or skimmer and cracking one of the baffles. I would be comfortable using 1/18 or 3/16. If you cant find the glass locally then I have plenty of it in the shop.

Back