Glass Distributor

torqued

Market
Reaction score
So now that I have confirmation that my tank is getting rebuilt, I am going to pursue repairing the broken bottom panel in the one that just arrived.

I got a quote from a local glass dealer and they wanted over $800 for the single pane of 72"x24"x3/4"

A 3/8" tempered panel would be like $300.

Anyone got any other ideas?

This is the tank. It's brand new, but arrived damaged on the bottom panel

cfb3cf9cdfd3b76d22b1253be4b8870d.jpg
alt="" />

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

$800 is about right for that size and thickness.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You could contact glass cages, they sell glass cut to size. They're a bit cheaper than local, but you have to deal with their delivery schedule or pick it up (TN?)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

$800 sounds about right for a retail price on high quality un-tempered glass. I'm no expert on making tanks, but the rule seems to be use thicker un-tempered glass on full rimless tanks with no bottom bracing. Remember that bottom pane is gonna be doing most of the work. I would be nervous using cheaper thinner glass.

800 seems expensive given the tank is made of 3 panels that size, 1 being Starfire. Starfire is easily 2x more expensive, and the tank was $1800....

Torqued;1091422 wrote: 800 seems expensive given the tank is made of 3 panels that size, 1 being Starfire. Starfire is easily 2x more expensive, and the tank was $1800....

It will always be much cheaper buying the whole tank. The company you got the tank from probably pays 1/4 or less of what an end consumer pays just walking into a retail glass shop. Also depends if the shop is cutting it for you or if they order in pre-cut glass for you. That is why most people find out that it really is not cheaper to make your own tank with glass. I'm sure you could find a better deal then $800 if you call around more, but anything under $600 I would personally be nervous there is some compromise in quality.

I tested a new silicone to old silicone yesterday btw. Th control stuck really well. The test on the old silicone. .. not so much. ...

I've got an old buddy that owned a glass shop in Jasper. I'll might see him tomorrow on Lanier for the poker run. I'll ask him if he still has any contacts. Is that the exact size you need?

Danh;1091432 wrote: I tested a new silicone to old silicone yesterday btw. Th control stuck really well. The test on the old silicone. .. not so much. ...
Can you tell us more about what u did? When u say old...do you mean simply cured, or do you mean silicone that's been in a tank for a while?

I light of your test, would you think repairing a new tank would work without stripping the silicone everywhere or no?

anit77;1091437 wrote: I've got an old buddy that owned a glass shop in Jasper. I'll might see him tomorrow on Lanier for the poker run. I'll ask him if he still has any contacts. Is that the exact size you need?
Shocker #2....

The display glass is not 3/4". It's 5/8". The bottom is 3/4 though. So because the outside dimensions of the tank appear to be exactly 72x24, the bottom glass is 1-1/4" (5/8" x2) shorter in both directions. So it's actually 70-3/4" x 22-3/4"

I used an old 10g. The silicone on it is fine. I put one bwas on new silicone on the glass, one half on the glass and half in the existing silicone and one bead just on existing silicone. 24 hours later I tried pealing them up. The on one the silicone came up easier.

I'm in the process of resealing a 140. The vertical seals were ugly but the bottom seal is fine. After what you said I had hopedal I wouldn't have to cut out the bottom. I will be strupping the bottom.

Torqued;1091443 wrote: Can you tell us more about what u did? When u say old...do you mean simply cured, or do you mean silicone that's been in a tank for a while?

I light of your test, would you think repairing a new tank would work without stripping the silicone everywhere or no?

Beads weren't exactly the same size but this is enough for me to pull out all the seals. Secondary at least. In not messing with the primary seals on mine.

<!-- gcu-updated ame -->https://youtu.be/2yZzTYeqCss<!-- gcu-updated /ame -->

Danh;1091454 wrote: I used an old 10g. The silicone on it is fine. I put one bwas on new silicone on the glass, one half on the glass and half in the existing silicone and one bead just on existing silicone. 24 hours later I tried pealing them up. The on one the silicone came up easier.

I'm in the process of resealing a 140. The vertical seals were ugly but the bottom seal is fine. After what you said I had hopedal I wouldn't have to cut out the bottom. I will be strupping the bottom.

Well that is interesting for sure. Im pretty relieved knowing that I am getting a new tank built rather than resealed one....I would have been pretty **** worried after your experiment failed to confirm what I was told....

Never did see the guy on Saturday. Was a crazy day out there.

Glasscages price doesn't look too bad at all. For the size you need it's $234.73 plus whatever their freight fee is. They have a truck coming down on the 29th. Don't think you'll find a price that low locally even through the guy I know.

anit77;1091608 wrote: Never did see the guy on Saturday. Was a crazy day out there.

Glasscages price doesn't look too bad at all. For the size you need it's $234.73 plus whatever their freight fee is. They have a truck coming down on the 29th. Don't think you'll find a price that low locally even through the guy I know.

http://www.glasscages.com/?sAction=Deliv">http://www.glasscages.com/?sAction=Deliv</a>[/QUOTE]

Good price, just keep in mind that their prices listed on the website do not include polishing the edges.

Good call. If the second tank arrives broken, I will almost certainly be asking for my $$ back, and will just make one

Back