Glass repair people ?

jetchris

Market
Reaction score
I am thinking about getting the back pane of glass replaced. Has any of you had any experience with something like this? Is it feasible, low cost, etc. Do you know of any glass shops that would do this kind of work.

here a thought. Get the glass and the size you need. Drill it to the way you want before you place it to your tank and seal it. It can't be harder then resealing a tank and since it only 1 side it would be a lots easyer. + you already have it drill the way you want.

WOLFIE;118962 wrote: here a thought. Get the glass and the size you need. Drill it to the way you want before you place it to your tank and seal it. It can't be harder then resealing a tank and since it only 1 side it would be a lots easyer. + you already have it drill the way you want.

good thinking!

no it happened when i pushed the CL manifold into the bulkheads?? I guess i put to much pressure on the manifold while pushing it in? I didnt even know it was cracked until like 15mins later.

what size and brand tank is it? how big is the crack?

Replacing the glass is major PITA and can't even be done on some brand tanks. I don't no of anybody doing it with any long term success.

Personally I'd do a sandwich repair on it. Just get 2 pieces of acrylic (black on the inside for back pane). The crack has to stop on a edge or a hole. Then just silicon the pieces to the broking pane...

Roland Jacques;118979 wrote: what size and brand tank is it? how big is the crack?

Replacing the glass is major PITA and can't even be done on some brand tanks. I don't no of anybody doing it with any long term success.

Personally I'd do a sandwich repair on it. Just get 2 pieces of acrylic (black on the inside for back pane). The crack has to stop on a edge or a hole. Then just silicon the pieces to the broking pane...

that sounds like something very feasable & will still look great! You can even get it in a deep royal blue.

Roland Jacques;118979 wrote: what size and brand tank is it? how big is the crack?

thanks roland, i didnt think it was very feasible you just confirmed what i was thinking. Its cracked way to bad to do a sandwich repair, but good idea!

I moded a 10 gallon for a refugium by breaking out the short end of a standard 10 gallon tank, then removed the black stripping on top and bottom.

Then I measured the top of the tank,I went to a glass shop and had them cut a piece of glass and drill two holes in one end. I forgot to use tape to keep my silicone looking neat which made the end product slightly less attractive. I reused the old pieces of stripping I'd taken off the bottom to reinforce the "new" top and bottom ends. This 10g now stands 20" high, 12 inches wide and 10 inches deep. when I was finished, I had a 10 gallon refuguim that would stand beside my 30 long. I'm using it now, but think it's undersized to do my 65g much good, but it has zero leaks!!!!!!!!

chrisjet;119007 wrote: thanks roland, i didnt think it was very feasible you just confirmed what i was thinking. Its cracked way to bad to do a sandwich repair, but good idea!

If you do the sandwich repair right The pane chould be shattered and the repair will be the strongest parts of your tank.

Back