Glass Top For Tank On Or Off??????

basscyn

Market
Reaction score
I have always had this glass top on my tank. It has always been a bit cloudy.I can never seem to keep it clean. I was wondering if it was inhibiting the light a bit. My xenia and green star have not been happy and it has been suggested that they love light. I have a pretty nice T-5 so that should not be a problem...except maybe for this cloudy glass top. So I took it off for a few days and sure enough, things are perking up. I would like to leave it off but I dont want my T-5 fixture to get all...salty. Plus the evaporation seems to have increased dramatically.

Do I need a glass top? If so, does anyone have any suggestions on successful cleaning.
Thanks!

I have always had the top off on my 150 watt MH and on my 8 bulb T5 set up sure salt will collect on it but once a week take ur light off make sure it is very very very very cooled down and then wipe it off carefully with a damp rag but only do this when the light is completely cooled down

The glass is greatly prohibiting the par depth of the lights. I would really suggest taking it out or off....As for the t5's its gonna get salty anyway, And my I remind you, as a reefer its your JOB to be cleaning and inspecting your equiptment on the regular anyway as good husbandry practices for your reef quality and saftey.

I agree... you gotta go topless man.

Hell I think the whole world should go topless. It would be a better place.

jaydm93teg;181035 wrote: I have always had the top off on my 150 watt MH and on my 8 bulb T5 set up sure salt will collect on it but once a week take ur light off make sure it is very very very very cooled down and then wipe it off carefully with a damp rag but only do this when the light is completely cooled down

My T-5 fixture is up on those little raised legs. it has a clear cover on it anyway. The bulbs themselves are not exposed. If a once a week damp wipe is all that is needed....off it goes.
Thanks!

Back