Glass top vs screen top

myreefclub0070

Market
Reaction score
Weighting my option, not sure if I want to take off my glass top an switch to screen top.
Please help me decided.

Major downside is your evap rate will skyrocket depending on your tank size.

I use screen tops personally

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I just don't see the difference between mesh top versus glass top, especially if your sump is open. Am I missing something? I've never noticed a significant pH swing either way.

I have glass on my FW tank and the biggest thing I notice is water spray and build up on the glass. I have netting on my reef, always have and always will. Mainly because I don't want to have to clean the glass all the time.

jbadd99;957844 wrote: I just don't see the difference between mesh top versus glass top, especially if your sump is open. Am I missing something? I've never noticed a significant pH swing either way.

Temperature issues may be more of an issue for folks with AIO type setups without sumps. I used mesh tops for years, but recently pulled them from my 465 because I really don't have anything I'd classify as a jumper. Still have it on my 100 gallon however, because I do have what I'd term jumpers in there.

I think glass tops would be a maintenance nightmare, but heat exchange would only be better if the tank was open to air as well as the sump

Honestly, the best situation IMO is a completely open top. I found I had a lot of salt buildup on the top frame of my 465 using mesh tops. This has almost been completely eliminated since I removed the tops. The frames seem to attract salt buildup for whatever reason.

Anything I can so to lessen the amount of work on the tank, the better.

I use glass and have to clean every other day, which the tops come off anyways for feeding time. Its great for evaporation, but runs about a half a degree warmer than open air. I usually run an open top in the summer time and glass in the winter months. Oh, and i run an open sump.

Well hell with all the no brainers that I got, I guess I'll be taking the glass top off.
It is a job to keep the glass clean and it holds back a lot of evaporation, not a big deal with gases cause I guess the open sump with the skimmer running can Handel the gas exchange.
Just trying another method to better my tank.
Thanks all for the advice.

I've never worried about excessive evaporation since I have an ATO. If you refill manually, I could see where glass tops would be desirable.

Acroholic;957858 wrote: The frames seem to attract salt buildup for whatever reason.

i think this is because water gets stuck between the frame and the tank rim and we dont really notice it until the water evaporates leaving the salt behind. vs. when it just lands on the tank rim it either rolls back into the tank or gets wiped off by us not having the chance to evaporate.

Just wanted everyone who posted an opinion to know that I might never put glass on the top of my tank ever again.
3 degrees drop in temp. And so much more light, it's blinding.
Can't believe it toke me this long to even ask this question.
My reef club kicks a$$.......thanks all.

Back