Glass vs Acrylic

jman930

Supporting
Reaction score
So I’ve been reading lots of conflicting threads on other forums regarding the pros and cons to glass vs acrylic with large tanks (400+) gallons. Looking for personal feedback from owners of large tanks.

If you could do it all over again would you go glass or acrylic and why?

glass all the way, my only real gripe with acrylic is that it scratches easily. but its so easy to scratch that it makes it undesireable for me. keep in mind it is easier to repair as well but most of your scratches are going to be inside the tank from cleaning algae off of it and those are a pain to fix because you need to lower the water level well below the scratch to fix it.

glass all the way, my only real gripe with acrylic is that it scratches easily. but its so easy to scratch that it makes it undesireable for me. keep in mind it is easier to repair as well but most of your scratches are going to be inside the tank from cleaning algae off of it and those are a pain to fix because you need to lower the water level well below the scratch to fix it.

+1, for the same reasons stated. I don't have anything that large but I have made some 250+ gallon acrylic tanks. They scratch too easily and thats a deal breaker for me.

I had a 90g and 480g acrylic tank that I couldn't imagine having moved if it was glass. I moved the 90g a few times by myself, carrying it up and down the stairs. They were freshwater and didn't have a ton of rock in them. The rock I did have was smooth. I can't say if I'd like it or not with live rock but I didn't have any issues with scratching. Not even on the bottom where the rocks sat. I never really had algae issues in those tanks so I never had to scrape anything. I would always prefer acrylic. Having to scrape precipitate off of it might be the end of that though.

The tank I would want built would be 96x48x30. That much glass would be 1k+ lbs. it’ll be on a slab but wow that a lot of weight even before the water!

The cons that concern me with LARGE acrylic aquariums would be the bowing, yellow discoloring due to UV, and scratches.

Cons for glass would be usually more $$, weight (we gotta move the thing into the house!), dimensions (can they make in glass what can be made with acrylic)

Thoughts?

I've been weighing this myself lately and reading all over the place on the topic. The ease of scratching is giving me reservations with acrylic. It'd be nice to hear what @skriz and @outdrsyguy1 think about this topic.

I'm considering my next tank now. We're planning on moving in the next 6 to 8 months. My initial thought was to do another in-wall but now I'm considering a peninsula. The tank would be 96x36 or 48x30 and that would be a huge PITA to get in place if it was glass. I've helped move quite a few glass tanks in addition to my own since joining the club. Rusty's tank is a beast and if it were glass we couldn't have done it and he would have needed professionals to get it in the house and on the stand. The heaviest glass tank I moved was a Red Sea XXL750 and that was with just two of us. I still don't know how we moved that nearly half ton tank in place or how I didn't leave with a third nut. It had to be sheer mind over matter. The tank I'm looking at would be most likely be more than double that! And I don't see how I could go with anything other than acrylic. I'm really warming up to the idea of a peninsula as the viewing would be much better and it would save a ton of space in the fish/sump room. But doing that would mean a lot more surface area to clean and with that more opportunities to scratch it. I also must say I really like how easy it is to clean glass and mostly only one panel at that.

My current build has all 4 panels visible so like you said LOTs of glass cleaning involved. That is another reason I’m apprehensive about acrylic...

I've had mostly acrylic tanks and thought they were hard to keep scratch free as well... but the clarity is unrivaled. The only downside as noted by many here is the scratches. I was able to keep my old tank pretty scratch free even down to the sand level but it took a few hours to get all the coraline off at times. One time I did polish the tank while it was full of corals and water. This didn't bother any of the corals from my observation as the acrylic "dust" just went down the overflow. Anyways, I told myself I'd never do acrylic again since I'm not willing to spend that kind of time cleaning. Then I saw a guy's tank in norcross who had a tank up for 3 years and the acrylic was pristine. I asked him what his secret was and he said he is very diligent about wiping the acrylic down every 3 days. Any longer than that and the coraline has an opportunity to set in. That's something I never did... but it makes sense. It takes diligence though which I'm not always capable of. :)

Glass isnt as clear but wont scratch easily. Arcylic is REALLY clear but will scratch if you look at it funny. Starphire glass is a good balance. It can scratch easier than glass because its not as hard but and its pretty damn clear. Easy way to tell the difference is to look down the edge. If its green its glass, if its blue its starphire, if its clear its acrylic.

I had a few acrylic tanks, they ended up scratched to hell. Even took one down to buff it out totally, it ended up wavy and scratched again a few years later. I now have a 300g done with starphire and its got some scratches as well. You cant get away from it completely but I will never get another acrylic tank again. Never.

Always remember this algea grows in scratches first. With acrylic you will be able to see the scratches VERY clearly.

On large tanks, acrylic is the best option and often times, the only option.

Your basics have been covered here: clarity, weight, etc.

Yes, acrylic is easier to scratch, but it's also easier to repair. Glass is nearly impossible to repair. I have a glass tank and it has scratches that'll never be fixed. My acrylic tank was pristine. Every time I did get a little scratch, I'd take care of it immediately. With the right filtration and maintenance, you shouldn't have a badly scratched acrylic tank.

Thermal properties: acrylic will insulate better than glass. Something to consider especially if you're planning for a basement tank.

Deflection: under spec'd acrylic will deflect a lot. Be wary of cheap tanks. Not only is the material thinner than it should be, it's generally a very low grade acrylic. This low grade acrylic will yellow rather quickly. Top quality acrylics are thicker, more dense, and do not yellow.

Whatever material you decide on, research the company you're dealing with (just like anything else). Make sure they're going to be there for you through thick and thin. As a hobbyist, I got stung plenty of times dealing with companies that left me hanging.

I recommend glass. It’s heavier but in the end you will not worry as much about scratching it.

However you can be successful with acrylic as well. Whatever you choose you better plan it all out, including how it will be cleaned and what stand to use. It’s a fun experience no matter what you choose.

Looking forward to seeing your progress!

I’ve had both
You’re going to end up with scratches on both.
BUT you’re going to end up w a LOT of scratches on acrylic.
My vote is glass all the way

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

for me it also had to do with risk. For a large tank there's a different level of financial risk if it leaks. I've seen a fair number of glass tanks that blew a seam while I can only think of one acrylic one that busted (and it was an unusual shape and 30' long i think?). If your planning on having such a large tank, usually you're planning on 10-20 years for it i'm guessing, so remember that when you think of silicone holding it together.
I do have some scratches on my tank which are fixable with some elbow grease but i've found that they don't actually bother me enough to fix. I am pretty careful and do not keep my magnet cleaner in the tank and rinse thoroughly and dry after each use.
I found a pad for cleaning the film algae and a cool nylon mesh for scrubbing off the hard stuff that attaches to my cleaner and works great. the fish do scratch the inside a little from time to time but you REALLY have to look close to see them.
good luck with your decision!

I agree with most of the opinions here too. Acrylic is very nice but the ease of care and scratch resistance of glass is bar none. If you get a nice tank that uses shappire glass then you'll have great visibility too.

Glass. I do not have the mind-numbing patience for the scratch-care that acrylic takes.

I am a service manager for a local shop and have to go out and clean tanks alot. I would have to say glass for sure. I am not as worried about scrathing glass as easily. It can happen for aure but takes more effort to happen

I've had two acrylic tanks over 100 gallons and 6 glass tanks over 100 gallons and I would say glass 1000% of the time. I got a kit to remove scratches for the acrylic tank and it worked. However, it scratched so easy that I had to do it multiple times ( I moved a lot during grad school.). It was a pain!!

Back