glass

glxtrix

Market
Reaction score
where in atl can I go to get a couple paynes of glass to fit in my sump. Going to have some odd dimensions too so they will need to be cut. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Lee

Check in the window departments. Just be careful, their cuting machhine tend to give them sharp edges. I used 3 panes in my 20 GAL sump I built a while ago. A simple way to get teh panes in a sump first is to use hot glue to set them and them silicone the crap out of them. Just a suggestion...good luck!

How big are the pieces you're going to want? I can get glass super cheap and cut free, if the stores turn out to be pricey or inadequate.

George, can you get the edges smoothed so it doesnt cut?

Not sure. Given what we use it for, probably not as a normal course. I'll ask.

Does anyone have any ideas for smoothing the edges? I dont care what it looks like but I dont want to put silicone or something over it.

I use a orbital sander when I have glass cut to smooth the edges, works good and is what the glass shops in Macon uses also.

the HD and Lowes glass is very thin. How thick did you want the glass?

nothing terribly thick, but not too thin either. 1 payne of glass I'm going to have will full divide a 55g tank, so it'll run to the top so it'll need to withstand the pressure from the water....but there will be water on both sides, so it wont be too much pressure.

the last time i checked, their glass is basically picture frame glass. very thin stuff. I think they do have some thicker pieces, but from what I remember, they were pretty small.

hd is everywhere though, so it wouldn't be too gard to check on it.

Did anyone find a good place to get thicker glass? Not too thick but not picture frame or window glass.

HD by me no longer cuts glass as store policy. Lowes still does though.

a window pane of glass may work lee, just depends on the amount of water is has to hold back, if it were me, i wuls talk to george and see if i could getglass thicker than 1/8 inch that HD and Lowes carry

Back