Glue

Justin

Reaction score
So what is the trick. I use gel ( probably too much) it sticks to the frag fast but not the rock.. do I need to clean the spot on the rock first? Is it because it’s under water?

Nope, just have to be patient if you overload it. Under water, superglue gel cures kind of gooey, like molasses. If you goop it on, it takes longer to set.

I find it easiest to test fit the frag first, then figure out a couple points that will touch the rock. Just apply a couple drops at those points and press on it gently for about 20 seconds.

Nope, just have to be patient if you overload it. Under water, superglue gel cures kind of gooey, like molasses. If you goop it on, it takes longer to set.

I find it easiest to test fit the frag first, then figure out a couple points that will touch the rock. Just apply a couple drops at those points and press on it gently for about 20 seconds.
Thanks I will definitely do it that way next time

Not sure what glue your using but the gorrila brand seems slow to me. The locktite control gel works well

My fav is a mixture:
CorAffix (Reef Stores) & Super Glue Gel (2 for $1 @ Dollar store).
Use a generous amount of SG (leave frag for 2+ minutes in open air, then add CorAffix usIMG a toothpick if needed to mix the two glues on the frag (or rock), then dip frag into cup or bowl of tank water (one quick dip with gloves) then attach to desired area in the tank and hold for 60+ seconds.

Cyano acrylate (super glue) cures with exposure to moisture.

If you’re trying to glue it out of water, first briefly soak the frag plug/rock. Then remove the rock and the coral from the water, and use a dry paper towel to gently blot dry the portion of the rock and the side of the coral that will receive glue.

Apply your glue and quickly connect the 2 (rock and coral). Once connected, maintain holding it together with your hands, and submerge it underwater for 10-30 seconds. Then, set it down somewhere where it won’t be bothered.

After that, it should have enough strength to hold its own, as it continues to cure over the following hours.

And generally, I prefer Bob Smith Industries (BSI) IC-Glue in the 20g tubes, . It has been the best bang for your buck that I’ve been able to find ($4-8 each for a 20g tube). The tubes are big, but not too big either. And they always include 1-2 extra heads. But I’m open minded for trying other good deals.

Additionally, they sell an Accelerator spray. This will speed up the initial ‘holding underwater’ cure time by a factor of 50 or so. it’s not necessary though. However, If you decide to use the accelerator; once you spray the glue, you have about 2 seconds max to connect your coral. After 3 seconds, it will be too late. (I’ve timed this hundreds of times. Lol)

Reactions: bzb
Be realllll careful with the accelerants. Zip Kicker is way better than the Bob Smith stuff, but both generate heat, and potentially lots of it! Enough to cause chemical burns on your skin, at least.

I imagine it’s just fine for hard corals, but I’d be very careful using zip kicker on softies - although I’ve ready it’s reef safe.

Back