Gluing acrylic SHEETS

surfdude

Reaction score
Anyone have any suggestion on gluing to sheets of acrylic together? Got couple 1/8th" thick x 6ft x 3ft acrylic sheets that I like to glue together and form 1/4" thick sheets. Will weldon work or is there a better cement out there. Also what about the integrity of the sheets after they're glued.

In that situation, maybe silicone would work..... I've used silicone to laminate acrylic sheets together, but on a much smaller scale, with great results

weldon #3 for sure. if your planning to use this as a viewing pane, dont bother. making a good clear weld that size is pretty much impossible.

I understand why silicone wont hold two pieces together when affixed at a right angle. Water pressure is ussally too great, and the seal buckles. On a straight plane though.... What's to buckle? From that stand point, I think it would hold.

As I'd said earlier, I've done it on a smaller scale 12" square, lamintaing 1/8" acrylic sheets for baffles, which actually turned out very rigid and surprisingly clear. However on the scale this member is speaking of, I'm uncertain if the same results would be acheived.

Its been a long time since I've priced Weld-On. Wouldn't more be spent for enough weld-on than the project would be worth?

ares;324383 wrote: for 1/4" I think your right.

its not that expensive by itself, I believe sizes greater than 1" that is the main way, they weld sheets together, though, presumably by more advanced methods than a butt load of weld-on :p

Actually, you can get sheets up to 2" without too much trouble. Greater than that, and yes, they weld them together. Unless I was just throwing together a patch job or something, I can't imagine trying to weld together two sheets of 1/8"...

thanks for the inputs everyone...I like to build a sump for my 75 gal...would it be a better idea if I cut the size (2x of each sheet) first, then bond them together with weldon? I'm not too concern with clarity just as long as it works. Free acrylic, so I thought I give it a try.

It's going to cost you more in weldon and aggravation than a sheet of 1/4". If you decide to move forward with this, please post pics of the process..this is going to be great

Back