gluing animals to rocks...

dave green

Market
Reaction score
My biggest challenge is getting corals to stay in one place. i've had no luck with those clay molding epoxy sticks.

Any ideas on an easier way to stick 'em up?

Superglue Gel....works like a dream. Not good for softies like Xenia but works on Polyps as long as you keep the glue off the skin as much as possible.

I originally had little luck with superglue--even the gel--after hearing all the recommendations I read on here. However, I found out that my problem was that I was using FAR too little of it... for me to have any success mounting stuff with the superglue gel, it is necessary to make a big horkin' ball of the stuff and to let it set just a bit before you put it back into the water. If you can keep it from being disturbed for a while after you return it to the tank, it will hold stuff REAL good. One word of warning, though... it sometimes makes my skimmer go berzerk for an hour or so afterwards. I've started pulling the collection cup for an hour or two after any glue is used in the tank, to avoid overflows.

I use the epoxy tube and super glue gel. I would mix the epoxy press it into place I want the coral with a few "ears" sticking out Glue the coral to the epoxy then fold the "ears" over the bottom of the coral. The super glue holds the coral until the epoxy sets.

Super Glue Gel - lots of it as noted.
I try to dry an area on the rock and then the base of the frag - return to tank right away - has always worked great for me.

jefft;223911 wrote: I use the epoxy tube and super glue gel. I would mix the epoxy press it into place I want the coral with a few "ears" sticking out Glue the coral to the epoxy then fold the "ears" over the bottom of the coral. The super glue holds the coral until the epoxy sets.

yup!

You could drill small holes in your LR and clue the coral to plastic golf tees or small clear tubing. Then just place them where ya want. Don't like where it's at or it's not getting the right light, just drill another hole and move it. There is a guy that shows this in his reef tank on reefvideos.com if ya have a few minutes to check it out.

I get my Superglue Gel from the Dollar Stores in the area. 3 tubes for a buck.
Dave

If you can find a Dollar Tree store they have a five pack for a buck. Once they even had bags of med size shells for a buck. Bag read "steam cleaned" and my blue legs loved em.

If I can't find an existing crease or hole to press the epoxy into I have a set of drill bits that are 12 to 24 inches long. I just clean any "foreign" material off of the bits (oil, shavings, etc) and drill holes in the rock while their still in the tank. You can get bits that size from electrical supply companies. They're used by electricians and telephone installers when installing lines into to old barns and/or buildings with thick wood foundations. No you can not borrow mine! Sorry.

Drill bits? WHAT drill bits?!?

So far, the super glue gel is sounding the best... a lot less hassle.

Although I like the idea of power tools in the fish tank! (my rock ain't that stable)

I can mount entire colonies on an incline or even a vertical piece of LR using superglue and putty. I make a ball of putty and glue both sides of the ball... the coral goes on one side of the ball and the other glue side gets pressed onto the rock. It works like a charm, but takes a lil experience to get it right as it can get messy.

davidbgreen;224216 wrote: Drill bits? WHAT drill bits?!?

So far, the super glue gel is sounding the best... a lot less hassle.

Although I like the idea of power tools in the fish tank! (my rock ain't that stable)

Oh yea, I do use cordless.

if you have a favia or challice frag on a frag plate do you all remove the frag from that plate and glue it to the rock? If so how do you remove the frag from the plate?

Back