Gluing male adapter to pump?

legalreefer

Market
Reaction score
I have a leak on the output of my reeflo pump. It is the threaded fitting. Right above the fitting is a union. I cannot foresee any reason not to glue it together. What are your thoughts?

View attachment 64426
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
1052992=64426-ImageUploadedByTapatalk1443574606.665466.jpg
>
1052992=64426-ImageUploadedByTapatalk1443574606.665466.jpg
class="gc-images" title="ImageUploadedByTapatalk1443574606.665466.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

While I agree to some extent, I think the better option is to disassemble and put a heavy wind of plumbers tape around the threads. You could also try plumbers putty.

Glue dissimilar plastics will give bad results in my opinion. As John mentioned, disassemble, put about 3 wraps of Teflon tape (under $1 at HD) and reassemble. Do not over tighten the male adapter that screws into the pump. Once tight, do not allow it to back out at all while tightening the union and you should be good.

Get the heavy duty teflon tape. I believe it has a red, blue or black plastic case. The best way to tell if it is the normal or heavy duty is to squeeze the tape. The squishy tape is normal and the heavy duty is not so squishy.

The red and blue case just signifies how much tape is on the roll I believe.

Take it apart and use a bunch of teflon tape.

If it still leaks Ive had good results with drying the inside of the joint and putting some PVC glue where they meet on the inside. Let it dry for about 30 min and go.

That way if you need to take things apart you still can but you get a decent seal.

I feel like I haven't had good results with the more Teflon theory but it's worth a shot!

LegalReefer;1053074 wrote: I feel like I haven't had good results with the more Teflon theory but it's worth a shot!

You don't want to put too much on. A few wraps. The key is to not over tighten and never move it backwards once tight.

What Rich said. Glue in a situation like that usually inspires remorse later.

Jenn

Back