Gluing plexiglass

roundman

Market
Reaction score
Can you use super glue to glue plexi together or will it not hold?

Thanks

Super glue will release at some point. You should use weldon or something similiar.

I made an all in one tank and used a thin line of super glue gel to glue the plexi baffles together. It stuck VERY quickly, as long as you use it sparingly. Then after it dried completely I used silicone to close off any leaks

roundman;491430 wrote: Can you use super glue to glue plexi together or will it not hold?

Thanks

No, you need a solvent like Weldon

It is worth the trouble to use the solvent unless it is for a temporary setup or you are sealing with something additional and only need it to stay in place to complete the work. Not only will superglue eventually not hold, it will yellow and it will make it impossible to use the solvent later (it will stay stuck to one side enough that you will not get clean surfaces to be able to bond).

I got some weldon at All Things Aquatic and got the hinges glued on.

Thanks Cliff for the help

You can make poor boy acrylic glue using acrylic shavings and acetone. Take a jar, drop in some shavings, cover with acetone, let sit overnight to disolve, Done. You can add more shavings to thicken it up or thin it down with acetone. Used it to make my skimmer.

But since weldon is readily available from our buddies here, do that.

Fish Scales2;491449 wrote: Super glue will release at some point. You should use weldon or something similiar.

1+ I got some from hobby town usa. It basically melts the plastic together and all the chemicals evaporate away

Back