Going topless

rodasphoto

Market
Reaction score
I want to take off the top off my bc29 and replace it with acrylic. I love the look of a topless biocube but need something there incase my cats decide they want to swim in the tank.

How thick should I go?

How bad will this affect PAR? (I have a diy cree led pendant)

What is the best technique to cut/shape acrylic?

I tried to go topless and it caused more problems then helped for me. Light bleed. Lots of junk got in the tank. More evap also have a bc

I had a company in Atlanta custom cut/fit a glass lid that sits on 4 little rubber grommets. I could show you some pics if you like but he only charged me like 50 bucks to cut it and its 28JBJ so it is bowed front and rounded sides. Looks great over hangs about 1/2 inch on all sides

Chris

Edit: My thickness is about 1/4 inch btw also using LEDs with no issues.

jeep9783;776417 wrote: I had a company in Atlanta custom cut/fit a glass lid that sits on 4 little rubber grommets. I could show you some pics if you like but he only charged me like 50 bucks to cut it and its 28JBJ so it is bowed front and rounded sides. Looks great over hangs about 1/2 inch on all sides

Chris

Edit: My thickness is about 1/4 inch btw also using LEDs with no issues.

I would love to see some pics, and could you PM their contact info.

I used window screen on mine. It blocks a little light but i just turned up the LEDs. The front bend is the hardest part.

Sorry taken with phone. The company I used was called glass inc located in atlanta. I just sent my tank with them told them I wanted 1/2inch over hanging and thats what i got back. Let me know if you need more pics or any more questions.

Chris

Edit: This is the same tank that I posted a video of at the beginning of the week. 28 JBJ that I did some cutting on :)
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
776893=38079-IMAG0383.jpg
>
776893=38079-IMAG0383.jpg
class="gc-images" title="IMAG0383.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a>
776893=38080-IMAG0384.jpg
>
776893=38080-IMAG0384.jpg
class="gc-images" title="IMAG0384.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a>
776893=38081-IMAG0385.jpg
>
776893=38081-IMAG0385.jpg
class="gc-images" title="IMAG0385.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

That looks pretty cool. Unfortunately my tank it set up right now so I would not be able to let them borrow it. I am going to see if I can make a template and try to see if they can make one for me from that.

Back