Golden dwarf moray?

twistoflime

Market
Reaction score
Ok so I've heard lots of things about these guys and they all contridinct eachother. I've heard they usually gow about 8" but 10" at the most. Then I heard they grow up to 18". I also heard they needed a 55g but then I heard they could be kept in a 10 or 20g! I guess theres lots of contriversy on this guy. I would really like to have an eel in my 30g. I have 2 large oceallaris clowns and one firefish. The eel couldn't fit either of these fish in his/her mouth so I think it would be pretty safe. I just need to know the care for these guys.
Thanks, Diane

twistoflime;220150 wrote: Ok so I've heard lots of things about these guys and they all contridinct eachother. I've heard they usually gow about 8" but 10" at the most. Then I heard they grow up to 18". I also heard they needed a 55g but then I heard they could be kept in a 10 or 20g! I guess theres lots of contriversy on this guy. I would really like to have an eel in my 30g. I have 2 large oceallaris clowns and one firefish. The eel couldn't fit either of these fish in his/her mouth so I think it would be pretty safe. I just need to know the care for these guys.
Thanks, Diane

I've never heard of one getting up to 18" ... that's pretty big. Most references I see say 6" - 8" and possibly up to 10". Mine is probably about 8" and I've had him 6 months; I think he has most of his growth.

Some information on this ----> http://www.poseidonsrealm.com/melatremus.htm">website</a>.

There are also some good discussion threads. I'll do a search and post links.

My eel is housed with:

clownfish pair
6line wrasse
yellow tang
bangaii cardinal pair
yellow tail damsel pair
bi-colored blenny
flame hawk
cleaner shrimp
sally lightfoot crab
serpent starfish

He's never bothered anything. He does get a bit excited at feeding time and will snap at the tang if it gets close, but I think it has more to do with his eyesight being poor and with the smell of food being around him, he's confusing the movement of the fish with the food I'm offering him on the skewer.

Biggest problem I had was getting my eel to eat, but now he'll eat pretty much at any time. I'm careful though to feed him just once a week (until he's sated) as overfeeding these guys can cause problems.

I would highly recommend this fish. One of my all-time favorites.

Buy one you wont regret it. They are great lil' eels. Just make sure the top is completely sealed.

Back