Gonna pull my hair out!

glxtrix

Market
Reaction score
Alright I'm about to swear off MAG pumps all together. I have this MAG2 on my CA reactor, and this **** thing wont stop leaking! I practically have the whole thing dipped in silicone. I swear when you dont care if they work right they do, but when you need to count on them...forget it! And this sucks because they are great pumps. Alright, so what pump would you guys recommend me replacing this MAG2 with?

I think you can buy a new o ring and face plate for them. As long as the screw holes aren't stripped it usually fixes the leak. Sal sells some mag parts.

If the parts Alan suggested don't work out... your best bet might be to get a new mag 2 imo. Sell the current one to someone that just needs it for in sump use. You've prolly spent more on silicone, blood, and tears than a new mag 2 would cost.

I think I might just go eheim. I don't know if I could rightfully buy another MAG for dry use. I mean who thought it was a great idea to make a pump with cheap plastic covers and screw posts. Anything is, the reactor was designed around the MAG so there would be some redirecting of lines. Grrrr.

Get an Eheim or Oceanrunner. I have never had any luck with the Danner/Pondmaster/Supreme stuff when used externally. You can always use it as a mixing pump until it shocks you. Then beat it with a hammer! :)

JM

I run a mag 12 on my return. It used to be a in the sump but I just recently moved it outside the refugium and is working great. I love my mag pump a smaller mag should not cost that much. Sprayin70 is right just buy the parts just a few bucks and a couple of minutes. Save alot of $$$

its not the cover. I took the cover and seal from a newer pump and it still is leaking. I think the screw mounts were a little worn from before my time. Its just the crap design of the pump. Oh well.

Could you enlarge the holes a bit and use bigger self tapping screws? Like one size up. That may work

not too sure if that would hinder the body at all. knowing the cheap crap plastic they use I'm sure the whole thing would split open.

LOL. Well good luck bro. If you want to try it I have the tools. If not I understand.

Back