Good books on corals?

tjherman

Market
Reaction score
Are there any good books specifically about corals? Sometimes it's hard to tell if a book is really good even by the ratings on Amazon.

Would Aquarium Corals: Selection, Husbandry, and Natural History</em> or The Super Simple Guide to Corals </em>be a decent start?
ref=sr_1_1

Try........Aquarium Corals : Selection, Husbandry, and Natural History by Eric H. Borneman
It is full of great info. Excellent book!

for getting your tank in a condition to keep corals, I would suggest J. Charles Delbeek & Sprung "The Reef Aquarium" "Science, Art, & Technology"

for coral info
Aquarium Corals : Selection, Husbandry, and Natural History by Eric H. Borneman

Tamara,
I have my own copy of Aquarium Corals by Eric Borneman and you are welcome to borrow it as long as it is returned. I live in Acworth so it is pretty close. Just let me know if you are interested give me a call 770-842-4662.
Eric

Corals: A Quick Reference Guide by Julian Sprung. I used to take this with me all the time when I was shopping for corals because you can find out just about all you need to know on the spot, about a given specie.

The others mentioned are fine books too - I just found Sprung's book the most useful when deciding what to buy.

Jenn

JennM;369577 wrote: Corals: A Quick Reference Guide by Julian Sprung. I used to take this with me all the time when I was shopping for corals because you can find out just about all you need to know on the spot, about a given specie.

The others mentioned are fine books too - I just found Sprung's book the most useful when deciding what to buy.

Jenn

I also like the one on Invertebrates that he's written (also a "Quick Reference Guide")

I think there is one on Angel Fish as well...

The Borneman book sounds like an all-around winner.

Barbara, I'll definitely need to ask about that library.

Eric, thanks for the offer! I'm mostly making up a reading list for now.

Ralph, definitely going to check out the one on getting the tank ready for corals.

Jenn, that's what I need! I have "What Fish? A Buyer's Guide to Marine Fish" by Tristan Lougher to take with me for fish purchases. It's a helpful little book.

For fish I also recommend Marine Fishes: A Pocket Guide by Scott Michael. I have a well-worn (autographed LOL) copy on the counter that we literally use every day. There's another volume - Reef Fishes: A Pocket Guide also by Scott Michael which we also use from time to time but the former one I've used for 9 years and it's great to assess whether a fish is "reef safe" or not. Both of those are small and easy to carry but contain over 500 species apiece.

Sprung's Invetebrates is also good - I carry/use that one too. Ron Shimek wrote a Pocket Guide to Invertebrates too... not sure if I have one on the shelf right now - if I don't I need to reorder it...

Knowledge is power :) And informed decision-making!

Jenn

tjherman;369812 wrote: The Borneman book sounds like an all-around winner.

Barbara, I'll definitely need to ask about that library.

Eric, thanks for the offer! I'm mostly making up a reading list for now.

Ralph, definitely going to check out the one on getting the tank ready for corals.

Jenn, that's what I need! I have "What Fish? A Buyer's Guide to Marine Fish" by Tristan Lougher to take with me for fish purchases. It's a helpful little book.

There actually is</em> a library of sorts, but there has been little or no interest in it. After carrying the box of books to the meetings a few times and toting it back home mostly full (hardly anyone wanted to check anything out), I didn't do much else with it.

I need to find someone active in the club who will take custody of the materials we have on hand. Tamara, if you'd like to have the box, I can get it to you. If nothing else, it would allow you to do a lot of reading in between meetings. The Borneman book on corals is one of the books in the library. Contact me via email if you're interested.

Also, I bought the Blue Planet Oceans DVD series and donated it to the library, but now it's disappeared. I'd really like to see this restored to our collection and used by members since it was a rather pricey investment. If anyone knows the whereabouts of the DVD's, please let me know.

Back