Good Husbandry.

sprayin70

Market
Reaction score
I thought I would start a Good Husbandry thread. I will start it off with 3 things I think makes a good parent!

-Ragular Water changes
-Regular Water Testing
-A quality environment for your type of reef, SPS, etc...

To be a good husband for the fish is pretty much the same as being a good husband for your wife. Lots of $$$ and lots of attention. :)

Lots of observation. (That's the easy part.)

Knowing what to look for. (That takes time and experience.)

Having a GREAT back up website and friends to help you out when you don't know what to do!

-research EVERYTHING before putting it in your tank
-resist "impulse" buying

RESEARCH before you adopt new children into the family, or do anything else for that matter.

This is a hard one... if you win something that won't do well in your tank, give it back or give it away!

Going with Kevin on this one. Patience at least for me is the hardest part. Reef tanks have a speed of there own and I am finding when I hurry the tank suffers.

I have another addition. I think that fairly regular feeding is a good habit.

GREAT idea, Alan! This is an important topic, and many have given excellent advice.

I go by the saying, "Nothing good happens fast in a reef tank." It reminds me to take my time (as Kevin said) and watch for sudden changes.

Keep 'em coming, everyone!

A little clarification about what I said... "Take your time." Completely agree with what Kayla said, nothing good happens fast in a reef tank. I want to comment by saying it can be very hard to resist the temptation to crowd our tanks with new inhabitants and different species, however, this may not give the animals room to grow, which can be a very rewarding endeavor.

We all know this is an expensive hobby, and if you have a lack of funds, it is a lot easier to take your time, than if you have extra disposable income.

Always remember these are living creatures that need room to grow... these animals really do not grow to the "size of their tank" but grow to the size that they are accustomed to.

All of the above comments are very important when setting up a reef tank.

Back