Good idea for your dose pump

jman930

Supporting
Reaction score
Not sure if that would be a good idea, I can see that clogging up fast and making a total mess of things if you don't keep up with it. I don't know anyone using a prefilter for their dosing pumps and never had any issues. Seems like adding something like this is going to create a problem that didn't exist to begin with.

The thought was to replace it often like every other month or as a quarterly thing. The filters are cheap.
I used it before and it’s dependent on how much detritus you have in the sump or how good your mechanical filtration is in the sump.
Mine ended up clogged within a month and during that time the effluent for the calrx has slowed down drastically without me knownjng

I used it before and it’s dependent on how much detritus you have in the sump or how good your mechanical filtration is in the sump.
Mine ended up clogged within a month and during that time the effluent for the calrx has slowed down drastically without me knownjng
That's exactly what I would be afraid of. The idea of having detritus getting into the calc reactor is no where as harmful as my Alk/calc plummeting because a clogged prefilter. It doesn't make sense to me at all. Especially with an SPS tank where stability is key.

Sounds like the filter did its job. And to both of your points the reduction of the effluent flow would not be good. Do you guys just take the reactors offline, clean them of detritus, put them back?

that seems like more work then swapping a filter.
Oh! Maybe using the flow monitoring on the effluent side could help using the fmm. Then if the flow is reduced you know it’s time to swap the filter. Win-win

These seem like a good idea for the "water out" line on an AWC. I have problems with amphipods going up my line and getting stuck at the little inlet on the Kamoer peristaltic tube, partially blocking the flow. I have to check the line at least weekly now to be sure that I don't get salinity drift. You'd still have to check/replace these regularly but they'd be more robust than the situation I have now. I went ahead and ordered some.

Sounds like the filter did its job. And to both of your points the reduction of the effluent flow would not be good. Do you guys just take the reactors offline, clean them of detritus, put them back?

Oh! Maybe using the flow monitoring on the effluent side could help using the fmm. Then if the flow is reduced you know it’s time to swap the filter. Win-win

i have my calrx without the prefilter and i don't find detrius inside of the calrx as much or causing much issue with the effluent. i only clean out my calrx once a year or once every 1.5 year. so that's ok with me.

I do the same thing as @hzheng33 and clean out / refill once a year, never had any issues ever with detritus build up in my reactor. Just to note, I do run filter socks as well.

These seem like a good idea for the "water out" line on an AWC. I have problems with amphipods going up my line and getting stuck at the little inlet on the Kamoer peristaltic tube, partially blocking the flow. I have to check the line at least weekly now to be sure that I don't get salinity drift. You'd still have to check/replace these regularly but they'd be more robust than the situation I have now. I went ahead and ordered some.
Let us know how it works for you.

Back