Good ole customer relations

Jeremey’s reef

Reaction score
Good morning everyone, I want to touch on a subject that is pretty important to me. During my short time within the hobby I’ve experienced the good the bad and ugly in customer relations. I’ve been told that I couldn’t return a 3-400$ item because it has been in water, well how in the world do you test an aquarium item meant to be submersed in water without getting it wet? I’ve also seen where a store refused to sell me a fish either for it being ill or doesn’t go well with my current inhabitants.

I for one appreciate a small store with employees that know my tank. This makes me more inclined to break out my wallet and spend my hard earn money with a LFS. I’m not a fan of new faces when shopping for fish so I often seek assistance from LFS employees that I have dealt with in past visits. For example I traveled to one of my go to stores in search of a Copperband Butterfly and even called a head before I drove 45 minutes before arriving to disappointment. I was told the fish was in stock and even given a price of the phone, so excited that my search maybe over I headed to the LFS. Once I arrived a guy approached me and ask “How may I help you sir?” I told him what I was looking for and he took right to the fish and to my surprise this fish was covered in Fluke spots.

I was quite upset to say the least and immediately walked out of the store. How could you offer a disease ridden fish for purchase? The fish didn’t develop these spots within my 45 minute drive. Could this be a lack of paying attention to detail on the employee’s end or just the desperate need to conduct business in these challenging times within the economy? I mean you would think the LFS would want to have the customers experience be as pleasant as possible as this would further insure future purchases.

I'd like to give them the benefit of doubt and assume the employee just didn't see it... Or so I hope.

It's a very hard time to add fish to a tank right now. A lot of wholesalers aren't shipping currently and so a lot of the lfs are empty.

I could say a few things about my experiences thus far with every lfs we’ve visited but I won’t. My feelings are that they are in retail and the point in retail is to sell. We’ve already lost a lot of money but honestly I blame myself more than anyone. As much research as I try to do on my own it is just impossible to know everything to ask or observe. After I’ve made mistakes based on what a salesperson has told me I would ask here and be barraged with information I never even thought to ask or seek beforehand. I think because the more experienced people on here have already made the same mistakes or have been in the hobby long enough to have been able to absorb the information they need they are probably the best resource we have! Example: someone in ARC told me to get a diamond goby. Because 2 of my chromis had died and my cleaner shrimp died and my lawnmower blenny died and my dragonet died (incidentally all purchased at different times but from the same store) I decided to really do my homework on the diamond goby. Just like you I called the lfs and was given the price, availability, etc. Because I had read up on them I purchased the fish (which was healthy) and a tang too (impulse buy). Never, ever thought to ask anyone here for advice on this thing...got him acclimated and next morning couldn’t find him. Assumed he was buried in the sand or hiding I didn’t worry too much until I read about their behavior....all it said was “ very active sand sifter”. Well later in the day it dawned on me that I really should have seen something of him and had the thought to look behind the tank and there it was, dead from jumping out. NOWHERE in my research did it say they would jump, I never even considered asking the guy who helped us. He fed them both and spent a great deal of time with us. Afterwards though I was frustrated that I had paid a premium price for a fish that killed itself within hours. I’d like to blame them but ultimately it was US who hadn’t asked on this forum before buying. Our tank was not properly prepared for that fish. Every store we’ve been to has had questionable fish that I’ve asked about and been told they’re fine or skinny from shipping or whatever, I TOTALLY get your frustration and am not trying to be dismissive at all, just think it’s another hard lesson learned. Next time maybe all of us will now know to say “hey it’s a really long drive, is this fish healthy? How long have you had it? Do you treat or QT all of your fish? I actually did ask those questions before we drove all the way there but failed to ask if the stupid fish jumped!! Ok sorry for rambling it’s late.

I'd like to give them the benefit of doubt and assume the employee just didn't see it... Or so I hope.

It's a very hard time to add fish to a tank right now. A lot of wholesalers aren't shipping currently and so a lot of the lfs are empty.
To be fair, when I’ve called to check on stock I could always tell the clerk was looking from where they answered the phone, they usually know which fish are where so if they see it from where they’re standing it very well could be that they didn’t see the flukes from that distance. Idk. Sorry you wasted all that time, gas, effort and anticipation only to be disappointed..

Animal health is definitely priority for me. Up in chicago, at my LFS, 100% of fish would be QT’d in Copper for 2 weeks, followed by Prazi, before customers could even see them. If any fish still had an issue, that entire system would be on lockdown, and Medicated appropriately, until the issue was treated.

When I moved here, I asked around the LFS’s as to their policies. Unfortunately, in Atlanta, the people here don’t Medicate or even QT the fish for any amount of time. I asked each LFS “what if a fish is noticeably sick? Will you medicate it?” Still, the majority response was usually “no” or “we try to sell the fish to the customers within a couple days, so we don’t have an opportunity to see most diseases develop”. At Pure Reef, the response was a passionate mild scolding “Your question is stupid. Fish from the ocean don’t get sick. If a fish is diseased, it is the fault of the customer”... this response took me aback and is directly against my experience as an ex-LFS manager. I still like Pure Reef, but any fish I get from them, I would give it and any nearby fish a very close inspection and still QT it at home.

Fortunately, I found 1 store in Atlanta that does Medicate their fish, Southern Aquatics. They don’t have the resources to QT all fish that come through their shop for a month in advance like we did up in Chicago. But they QT them in the shop with medications. And any fish, if showing symptoms is not allowed to go home to a customer until it’s healthy. This is the primary reason I’ve pushed their store above all others in the Atlanta area. Also, they have some of the cheapest prices. But even if they didn’t, I would pay more for an LFS that shows this love for their fish and their customers.

Animal health is definitely priority for me. Up in chicago, at my LFS, 100% of fish would be QT’d in Copper for 2 weeks, followed by Prazi, before customers could even see them. If any fish still had an issue, that entire system would be on lockdown, and Medicated appropriately, until the issue was treated.

When I moved here, I asked around the LFS’s as to their policies. Unfortunately, in Atlanta, the people here don’t Medicate or even QT the fish for any amount of time. I asked each LFS “what if a fish is noticeably sick? Will you medicate it?” Still, the majority response was usually “no” or “we try to sell the fish to the customers within a couple days, so we don’t have an opportunity to see most diseases develop”. At Pure Reef, the response was a passionate mild scolding “Your question is stupid. Fish from the ocean don’t get sick. If a fish is diseased, it is the fault of the customer”... this response took me aback and is directly against my experience as an ex-LFS manager. I still like Pure Reef, but any fish I get from them, I would give it and any nearby fish a very close inspection and still QT it at home.

Fortunately, I found 1 store in Atlanta that does Medicate their fish, Southern Aquatics. They don’t have the resources to QT all fish that come through their shop for a month in advance like we did up in Chicago. But they QT them in the shop with medications. And any fish, if showing symptoms is not allowed to go home to a customer until it’s healthy. This is the primary reason I’ve pushed their store above all others in the Atlanta area. Also, they have some of the cheapest prices. But even if they didn’t, I would pay more for an LFS that shows this love for their fish and their customers.
This is fascinating....lived in Chicago almost 30 years but had a fish only marine tank and was extremely naive so not into the hobby enough to know about QT. I just bought some fish from Pure Reef, everything there looked healthy as opposed to a couple of other stores I’ve been to lately. Pure Reef does keep all their fish in hyposalinity and Copper u less they can’t tolerate copper then they are in the frag tanks and I would likely say go untreated.
I totally agree with you about animal health and QT although honestly I didn’t QT my last purchase from Pure Reef. Thankfully no problems. I’ve gone to some of the “forum favorites” and have seen questionable fish even for my untrained eyes and was told they were fine but I didn’t think so and not willing to take a chance.

Yes I understand and have experience this first hand brother

Wow a response, to your question for pure reef. Southern Aquactics saltwater selection is super limited compared to others though

To be fair, when I’ve called to check on stock I could always tell the clerk was looking from where they answered the phone, they usually know which fish are where so if they see it from where they’re standing it very well could be that they didn’t see the flukes from that distance. Idk. Sorry you wasted all that time, gas, effort and anticipation only to be disappointed..
All is well I just took my business elsewhere

I've worked at a few different stores over the years and most stores just don't have the resources to be able to quarantine. And most customers wouldn't want to pay extra for the additional cost and time that comes with quarantining the fish. I think if most customers were willing to pay and were demanding that things might change.

As someone who has worked at several stores, I'm big on making sure a fish goes to a suitable home and have frequently refused to sell a fish to someone who doesn't have a proper set up for it. I wish more stores would do this, but even at my two full-time jobs at stores, the owner was not pleased that me and some other employees would refuse to sell fish to people (they aren't a sponsor). But employees and stores aren't perfect. Mistakes are made, and fish can't always be super healthy. Diamond Gobies are known jumpers, I'm sorry this wasn't communicated to you.

I could say a few things about my experiences thus far with every lfs we’ve visited but I won’t. My feelings are that they are in retail and the point in retail is to sell. We’ve already lost a lot of money but honestly I blame myself more than anyone. As much research as I try to do on my own it is just impossible to know everything to ask or observe. After I’ve made mistakes based on what a salesperson has told me I would ask here and be barraged with information I never even thought to ask or seek beforehand. I think because the more experienced people on here have already made the same mistakes or have been in the hobby long enough to have been able to absorb the information they need they are probably the best resource we have! Example: someone in ARC told me to get a diamond goby. Because 2 of my chromis had died and my cleaner shrimp died and my lawnmower blenny died and my dragonet died (incidentally all purchased at different times but from the same store) I decided to really do my homework on the diamond goby. Just like you I called the lfs and was given the price, availability, etc. Because I had read up on them I purchased the fish (which was healthy) and a tang too (impulse buy). Never, ever thought to ask anyone here for advice on this thing...got him acclimated and next morning couldn’t find him. Assumed he was buried in the sand or hiding I didn’t worry too much until I read about their behavior....all it said was “ very active sand sifter”. Well later in the day it dawned on me that I really should have seen something of him and had the thought to look behind the tank and there it was, dead from jumping out. NOWHERE in my research did it say they would jump, I never even considered asking the guy who helped us. He fed them both and spent a great deal of time with us. Afterwards though I was frustrated that I had paid a premium price for a fish that killed itself within hours. I’d like to blame them but ultimately it was US who hadn’t asked on this forum before buying. Our tank was not properly prepared for that fish. Every store we’ve been to has had questionable fish that I’ve asked about and been told they’re fine or skinny from shipping or whatever, I TOTALLY get your frustration and am not trying to be dismissive at all, just think it’s another hard lesson learned. Next time maybe all of us will now know to say “hey it’s a really long drive, is this fish healthy? How long have you had it? Do you treat or QT all of your fish? I actually did ask those questions before we drove all the way there but failed to ask if the stupid fish jumped!! Ok sorry for rambling it’s late.
I have had my fair share of jumpers, but I’m just not into having a lid for my tank. But I am a little more experienced in what to look for these days but I did indeed fail to ask about the fishes health before making the drive. I just assumed that someone be smart enough to know that people want healthy inhabitants within their reefs

I've worked at a few different stores over the years and most stores just don't have the resources to be able to quarantine. And most customers wouldn't want to pay extra for the additional cost and time that comes with quarantining the fish. I think if most customers were willing to pay and were demanding that things might change.

As someone who has worked at several stores, I'm big on making sure a fish goes to a suitable home and have frequently refused to sell a fish to someone who doesn't have a proper set up for it. I wish more stores would do this, but even at my two full-time jobs at stores, the owner was not pleased that me and some other employees would refuse to sell fish to people (they aren't a sponsor). But employees and stores aren't perfect. Mistakes are made, and fish can't always be super healthy. Diamond Gobies are known jumpers, I'm sorry this wasn't communicated to you.
I remember just last year before I joined ARC my friend Coley recommended I check out The Fish Store in Clamblee as I was getting my fish from Petco prior to this recommendation. I was such a novice and had no idea about fish compatibility or which fish that was unacceptable for my old 29g. I wanted everything under the sun including sharks. I wanted to purchase a shark egg and was quickly denied once I told them the size of my tank. I then found out about Nemo’s in Duluth and tried to make the same purchase and got the same result. This initially frustrated me but nowadays I appreciate the words “I can’t sell you that fish” and is why eventually these 2 stores became some of my favorites as my knowledge and experience grew. I like when a LFS asks “what size is your tank?” It’s the initial breaking of the ice in my opinion.

I have had my fair share of jumpers, but I’m just not into having a lid for my tank. But I am a little more experienced in what to look for these days but I did indeed fail to ask about the fishes health before making the drive. I just assumed that someone be smart enough to know that people want healthy inhabitants within their reefs
One would think this was a no brained but in my experience not so much.

Wow a response, to your question for pure reef. Southern Aquactics saltwater selection is super limited compared to others though

Yeah, I was stunned at PR’s response. They also explicitly told me that they don’t run copper. That response was dated 2 years ago, so maybe either 1) the response was incorrect, or 2) they updated their policy after I was asking those questions.

Southern Aquatics is limited, or at least, it was. They have been ramping up their selection slowly, ever since they renovated their entire saltwater area last year. The last few times I visited, they had 4-8 species of tangs, a large variety of designer clowns, and maybe 2-4 different species of each gobies, dottybacks, blennies, dartfish, hogfish, and wrasses. But people going there more frequently than I will have more accurate representations.

I still agree; providing 50-120 different types of fish is still not a lot, in comparison with some of these stores that are trying to churn them over to customers within 1-2 days... but in my opinion, S.A. has reached a respectable level of variety/selection. Again, I’d happily pay more (and wait longer) for a fish that is healthier; with a higher chance of survival, and lower chance of infectious disease. That’s why S.A. earned my support. The fish being cheap is just icing on the cake.

Their coral selection is still low though, as they are installing a huge 300g frag tank. I hope it is completed and coral is ramped up soon!

Yeah, I was stunned at PR’s response. They also explicitly told me that they don’t run copper. That response was dated 2 years ago, so maybe either 1) the response was incorrect, or 2) they updated their policy after I was asking those questions.

Southern Aquatics is limited, or at least, it was. They have been ramping up their selection slowly, ever since they renovated their entire saltwater area last year. The last few times I visited, they had 4-8 species of tangs, a large variety of designer clowns, and maybe 2-4 different species of each gobies, dottybacks, blennies, dartfish, hogfish, and wrasses. But people going there more frequently than I will have more accurate representations.

I still agree; providing 50-120 different types of fish is still not a lot, in comparison with some of these stores that are trying to churn them over to customers within 1-2 days... but in my opinion, S.A. has reached a respectable level of variety/selection. Again, I’d happily pay more (and wait longer) for a fish that is healthier; with a higher chance of survival, and lower chance of infectious disease. That’s why S.A. earned my support. The fish being cheap is just icing on the cake.

Their coral selection is still low though, as they are installing a huge 300g frag tank. I hope it is completed and coral is ramped up soon!
I think Southern Aquatics is the only lfs I’ve not yet visited

I hope they continue to grow as it would provide yet another

I hope they continue to grow as it would provide yet another go to LFS god me. I’m all for supporting the clubs sponsors but they must have something I would want or need

I remember just last year before I joined ARC my friend Coley recommended I check out The Fish Store in Clamblee as I was getting my fish from Petco prior to this recommendation. I was such a novice and had no idea about fish compatibility or which fish that was unacceptable for my old 29g. I wanted everything under the sun including sharks. I wanted to purchase a shark egg and was quickly denied once I told them the size of my tank. I then found out about Nemo’s in Duluth and tried to make the same purchase and got the same result. This initially frustrated me but nowadays I appreciate the words “I can’t sell you that fish” and is why eventually these 2 stores became some of my favorites as my knowledge and experience grew. I like when a LFS asks “what size is your tank?” It’s the initial breaking of the ice in my opinion.
I totally agree. Its very high on my value list when LFS discourage customers from fish and coral!

I think Southern Aquatics is the only lfs I’ve not yet visited
Yeah, they’re on the north side. And their store is about 60% freshwater and 40% saltwater. But yeah, it’s a nice little shop and the owners are almost always there and helping customers directly.

Back