Good or bad for reef?

Steve Burton

Vice President
Staff member
Supporting
Reaction score
Toyhe3ky3kebeavevazmnslcbx1nx1fjg.jpg
alt="20180109_192050" />

They look to be asterina starfish.  Some people don't like them because they will eat on corals if there's no enough other foods in the tank but I've never had an issue with them.  They scavage pretty well and can help keep some algae under control.  If you don't like them, they are easy enough to pick out.

Ok, thanks a lot. Researched them, guess ill leave them out for now, don't want to take a chance. If they make it in by mistake I'll see how it goes, just don't want to kick myself for knowingly introducing them.

I've watched them eat coral in my tank. The corals may have been a little stressed to begin with but they weren't dead. I throw them in the trash.

They become invasive, I have one tank that I remove about 50 per week from...

If they get to plague levels I've seen them remove coralline algae from rocks. If I remember right there are two types one that is "mostly harmless" and the other that is more likely to go after the corals. If you get tired of them, some people will borrow a harlequin shrimp or two, they make fast work of them. That method has its own risks though.

Doug, I had a fungia that would eat them as well, talk about fun too watch.

They crawl on the glass, can get 1/4”+ and out of control. It kills viewing pleasure, IMO a pest. Years ago, they were out of control in my tank, picked up a harlequin shrimp.  It lived happily for 4-5  months, did  it’s job. Once the tank was cleaned I passed him to a needed member.

If you have such issue, post WTB:

Harlequin Shrimp for loan anyone... and repeat the good deed.

yep Debbie your right, it's weird once the harlequin goes in the Asternias try and bail, even hanging out above the water line.

As for the trading , I have a sea hare doing the same thing on some hair algae in the 200 and the 40 and maybe the 20. Both the tangs and fox face are not up to the job on the big tank. Look out for a thread soon ( I hope). However I do like my little Shrek.

they will die off on their own in my experience after critical  mass is reached.

Back