Good or bad snail

swfk44

Market
Reaction score
Seeing these at the beach, probably eat all my corals right?
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
fieldset>

f8249bdd5c8a747dba1511f60f260f94.jpg
alt="" />
Anybody ever put these guys in their tank

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You don't want to bring home anything from the shore or close to it and put in you tank, most of the pollution washes up on the shore.

MYREEFCLUB0070;1054898 wrote: You don't want to bring home anything from the shore or close to it and put in you tank, most of the pollution washes up on the shore.

+1 Plus you never know if they maybe harboring any diseases that may infect your tank. I'm not sure it's worth the risks.

Those little clams can be found all along the gulf beaches within about 10" of the water line about 2" below the sand... they don't do well as they are purely filter feeders and usually our tanks don't have enough crud floating around to sustain them.

Plus even dwarf hermit crabs find them absolutely delicious & in most cases the clam can't dig down far enough to get away. + the aforementioned possible disease/pest introduction thing.

7ad337def6ee739a3af298c23a762dd5.jpg
alt="" />
Being black does it mean it's fossilized?

fe72540a8ff13d6ef2a259b95137554d.jpg
alt="" />
How about this guy in your tank (assumed dead)
d0ad42a706c9eb649deadcb1f66ddfd1.jpg
alt="" />
Him too

This guy was about the size of a paper plate

Ive never had an issue with bringing stuff home from the beach.

Just quarantine it.

If you know what you're getting and you're careful, some things like snails and blue legged hermits are OK. Where do you think places like Reefcleaners get them? :)

However some hermits grow really REALLY large, are very destructive, and are voracious, so be sure you know what kind you're getting (like blue or red legs).

Avoid whelks, they'll prey on your livestock. They have a spear-like proboscis that they impale their prey with.

Don't touch queen conchs - some of them are protected and you'll be in a heap of trouble if you accidentally collect one and are caught with it.

Leave sand dollars and such behind. Most of those filter feeders don't do so well and they will foul your tank WHEN they die.

Jenn

Always good to hear from you jenn thanks

Back