Got a good question for you expert out there.

atlantaaquarium

Sponsor
Reaction score
So I've been trying to donate some of the larger fish to the public aquariums. I called Tennessee Aquarium. The lady I spoke with told me that they are not allow to accept fish donation. It seem like most aquarium are that way. I have this one fish in particular that I like to find a good home. It is showsize Green Moray eel. I googled and found that the Green Moray eel lived along the western Atlantic from New Jersey, through the Gulf of Mexico and Caribbean Sea, and south to Brazil. I was thinking of dropping it off in Florida in a proper area of course. I am wondering if I need to get an ok from fish and wildlife to do so?

Hi Rit. I hope your doing well. I’ve heard how difficult the process is to donate fish to the Aquarium. I believed they require it to be in a qt for several years.

Im not sure if there is any specific laws regulating release of aquarium raised fish / inverts Ect. But, even if it’s a native species to that area it still may have a disease or parasites that could spread to other species in the area of the release. How big is he? Depending on the size there maybe a few options out there.

Hi Brett, it's good to hear from you. It's good here. Finally got some needed help. Hope everything are going good with you as well. I have this particular eel for about 2 years and had grown a lot since I got him. I keep him in the sump under the second large coral tank so there is no parasite that I know of. He is very large. His top fin stick out of the water when he is excited.

I've seen it. My guess would be 4-5ft and body 3-4" diameter. Big enough that if you were snorkeling you would not want to run across it and if you did it might make you ink a little.

Maybe try calling the GA DNR. They may know if it can be released off the GA coast. But it I think it would be tough for it to find a home and might require a dive to get it properly situated when released. The Coral Restoration Foundation should be able to tell you the Florida regs as well.

Another option would be to create a post on R2R to hit a bigger audience. There are people out there with really large systems that could have some interest.

Thanks Adam. Yeah I probably will give Coral Restoration a call. I need to call them anyway to donate some corals. I do have several folks interested in him. Don't want to see him die. Had him too long, just like the Naso tang, would rather release them or donate to one of the quarium if I could along with several other other big fish I have.

Back