Got Girth??

j_b_

Market
Reaction score
Figured I'd share this with some of my fellow toadstool enthusiast...assuming there are some. :unsure:

This is one of the main pieces in my reef, a long-tentacle toadstool. When I got it about two years ago, the base was about 1*½" round...I'd estimate it around 8or so inches round at this point. To give you some idea of its size, this is a 75g (18" deep) tank and you can see the front glass and back glass in the first pic. The canopy is almost touching front to back...this thing is a monster! My green clown goby and lawnmower blenny pretty much keep residence in this thing, and probably don't even notice one another.

2015-02-02%2020.46.57.jpg
alt="" />

2015-02-02%2020.47.52.jpg
alt="" />

Beautiful! I wish. Could get mine to extend its polyps like that!

Anything special you do? Anything you notice that the polyps respond to or retract from?

DawgFace;1012268 wrote: Beautiful! I wish. Could get mine to extend its polyps like that!

Anything special you do? Anything you notice that the polyps respond to or retract from?

Thanks, Jessie

To be honest, I don't do anything...no seriously, nothing. My tank is all LPS and softies, and I just sit back and enjoy it. I haven't even done a water change in over two years...just fill up the ATO container and empty the skimmer every now and again. It seems to be working for me as everything is growing, the anemones are splitting, and the fish are fat and happy. Believe it or not, I even have some sort of monti in there that is growing like crazy too.

I've got a 125g upgrade sitting in the garage waiting to be set up, but I'll be honest, I'm afraid to disturb this...not broke, don't fix it...ya know?

1 Kole Tang, 1 Yellow Tang, 1 Lawnmower Blenny, 1 Green Clown Goby, 3 PJ Cardinals, 3 Clowns, 1 Yellow Watchman Goby, 1 Pink-Spot Goby, 2 Fire Shrimp, amd 1 Melanarus Wrasse

Ooh sweet! I'll add mine. Lights are moonlight now but it's 10" wide and 8" deep. It's HUGE. Started with a 2" frag 18 months ago.
Mine is a 110 tank
1012290=59054-ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422937991.229017.jpg
>
1012290=59054-ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422937991.229017.jpg
class="gc-images" title="ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422937991.229017.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:400px" /></a>
1012290=59055-ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422938006.558420.jpg
>
1012290=59055-ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422938006.558420.jpg
class="gc-images" title="ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422938006.558420.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:400px" /></a>

Very nice, Rusty! Appears you have a lot of LPS and softies as well, with a few sticks.

SPS dominant tanks are beautiful in their own right, but for me, there's something magic about a reef full of LPS and softies swaying in the current that has me captured. Oh, and there's also the part about me being a cheap, lazy reefer that bodes well with keeping them. :shades:

hehe, if I weren't so dang skilled at killing acro's there would be a lot more sticks! Someday I'd like to get another tank, maybe a 60g or so for anemone's and softes. Really like them also. Or in my dream world where I win the lottery and wife lets me put in a 500g in the living room. Then i totally have space lol!

Nice JB. I see what you meant now when you said the Acro I got from you was out of place in your tank. Everything looks great in there!

I would assume you refer to him as Ron Jeremy. I mean, how could you not?

<span style="font-size: 13px"><span style="font-family: Times New Roman">Interesting. I love toadstools, I&#8217;ve had one in every tank I&#8217;ve had for the last ten years but for some reason when I started going heavy SPS in a mixed reef my toadstool stopped growing. I&#8217;ve seen more growth in acros & millepora then in the toadstool. I wonder if frequent water changes are inhibiting its growth? I do a 15% WC ever 10 to 15 days.</span></span>
<span style="font-size: 13px"><span style="font-family: Times New Roman">-Nick</span></span>

I would guess it's lack of nutrients more than anything. But i'm not an expert. My tanks been pretty nutrient poor and it's taken close to 2 years to get mine big.

I've always read that LPS and softies prefer a "less clean" tank, so I'd say my lack of maintenance proof positive.

Here's a FTS that gives a little more perspective to the size of uh, hem...Ron :)

2015-02-03%2017.31.21.jpg
alt="" />

Not much of a softie guy personally but your tank looks great man!! Thanks for sharing the pic.

That guy is definitely a monster. Not sure even Ron is up to the task... ;)

Back