Grafting Corals

blind1993

Market
Reaction score
Has anyone here attempted to graft any corals (ideally plating monti's)? If so what were your experiences? If you haven't but you have some good information or links to articles, please do share them.

To graft a cap just glue them to the same plug:) do as many colors as ya want. Done

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Yup grafting is simply cutting 2 somethings and putting them close enough together you have a 50/50 shot of it either joining into one or just growing next to each other. Sometimes they graft, sometimes they dont.

If its something like SPS or some LPS you just put a frag near another frag. For single polyp stuff like large LPS or softies you cut them in half down the mouth.

I tried it a few times with monti caps and decided it looks stupid and blotchy when grafted but its the easiest to do. Zoa's and LPS are the most worth while but have a very low success rate and tend to revert back to a single color rather than spread with the grafted colors.

What about acropora. I was watching a program about when two different acropora spawn together , they are called hybrid. I think thats what they explaining.So with that in mind, can you graft them together like a branch

Not the same thing. A hybrid is when two things from two different species breed and produce something different. Like a lion and a tiger making a liger, or a scopas and yellow tang. When this happens the critter that results can not produce viable offspring. Its part of the definition of a species.

Grafting is two parts from two different things that are the same species being attached together. More like a white guy with a black guys arm. Think Ray from Archer.

I was thinking more like the http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2621160&highlight=graft">grafting montipora</a> this guy is selling, which is less blotchy and more streaky.

P.S. if anyone wants to split this frag pack or get 2 to save on shipping, let me know.

That's actually a very odd starburst cap that will get green streaks and green polyps. I bought a grafted starburst gap and it started as just a regular cap with a pink base and yellow polyps. Then 2 of the polyps turned green and started streaking from that point out. It is very cool. I think it's more of a mutation or something akin to that and not actually grafted.

barry_keith;1110009 wrote: @futureintrest indeed, it's called GFP or green florescent protein. My Starburst cap has several large patches of this.The OG from reeftech will do this. I do believe the WWC graft cap is the same as well instead of the result of glue two pieces close together.

What kind of growth are you guys seeing on these? Slower than normal monti or about the same?

WWC Graft

a>

Back