Grape Algae Control

hdfisher

Reaction score
I have some grape algae that is beginning to spread and was looking for suggestions on which type of fish would best help to control it. I have been told that a Foxface will keep it under control. I did have one and since he took a carpet dive about 3 months ago it seems to be spreading fairly rapidly. Thoughts/suggestions?

My emerald crab ate all my nice algae first...than he started on the bubble lol. so I would suggest a couple of those. It'll take a day or two before you see them working on it, but they're good workers.

you're talking about grape ou bubble alge, if is grape I ill take care for you, I'm willing to go to your place and remove as much as you like and put and my refugium. If it is bubbles (like the dark green green ball) emerald crabs will do it, I had the same ones on my 90gs.

You can do manual removal of the Bubble kind. Best way is with some kind of syphon. Just make sure it doesn't burst open as this will release spores into the water column and you will have another outbreak. If its grape caluerpa you can manually remove it as well. But this stuff grows fast.

Well I was saying that my emerald preferred the nice algae, like grape (which some do look really nice despite its desire to take over). I do not think he had bubble algae...my bad.

...I bought my emerald for bubble control, but it ate everything else first. So I assume he'd eat the grape w/o an issue.

Oh.... I was kinda confused as to which one he had. Some people were talking about bubble and other grape caluerpa. :doh:

Sorry about that. :sad:

It's grape algae...I also have a little bubble algae, but that is not a problem ...yet ;-)
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
248685=14262-DSC_8236.JPG_Thumbnail1.jpg
>
248685=14262-DSC_8236.JPG_Thumbnail1.jpg
class="gc-images" title="DSC_8236.JPG_Thumbnail1.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

I have it in my fuge. It can be removed manually. That stuff does grow really fast. Best thing to do is take the rock out and pick it off. I has a root that will attach to the rocks. These will allow it to regrow back if it is not all removed. There might be other ways to remove it that I am unaware of.

My Yellow and Sailfin Tangs eat the crap out of mine. I grow it in the ref and feed it to them every few days.

ill take some as well if your trying to get rid of it. I know scribbled rabbitfish eat algae not sure which kinds though

Next time there is a meeting I will go get what I can from my fuge and bring some. If I can ever get to one. I have a ton of it. Its starting to overtake my halimeda.

Back