Green Bird wrasse in my 75g?

ELBee

Supporting
Reaction score
Nemo's has some GORGEOUS, small (3.5-4
5") green bird wrasses in stock and I was considering one for my recently (running with livestock 4 months) set up 75g. I know eventually he'll need a 125 at a minimum and am prepared to transfer him into a larger tank when needed.

My main concern is for my garden eels. I read that the bird wrasse can be a voracious predator and worry for my peaceful little guys. Does anyone know if/think he might go after my eels?

Reallllly hoping not bc this is one of my holy grail fish. I just love how they "fly" through the water.

Attachments

• PXL_20240825_133226715.jpg
    PXL_20240825_133226715.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 15
Do not put even a juvenile bird wrasse in such a small tank, they absolutely fly around and will run laps in a tank that size. I have a pair of juvies in my 125g and I don't think it's enough space, it's only passable because they keep each other distracted. I would not advise a bird wrasse in anything smaller than like 200g.
I would also not risk them with skittish or timid fish; bird wrasses are bold and curious and are not afraid to steal food from slower tankmates. I have to distract mine while I feed my eel or else they steal his food, straight out of his jaws. As they get older, I have heard they become more predatory, and a garden eel would be the perfect snack. Mine are currently very peaceful, and some of my favorite fish ever, but I could not suggest you put them in such a tank because they will become bored out of their minds.
(btw, mine are blue bird wrasses but the difference is negligable)

Back