Green Hair Algae

coachholt7

Reaction score
Tank has been setup a little over a month. Cycled then diatoms. Now I'm dealing with green hair algae. Do I just keep an eye on parameters and allow it to run its course???

Clean up crew, run carbon/GFO to help control po4, no3 levels. It could be a lot of things causing it but from your case just sounds like normal cycle process

I would do everything possible to get it out, if it gets established it might be come a big problem.

If you don't have corals attached to the rock, get rid of the hair algae at all cost, ie freshwater bath one at a time until the algae falls off

I had it - and then I didn't. When I did, it was only on a few places in the rock and in and amongst some green star polyp that came with the rock. Some things I did -

- Pulled it off the rock where I could and threw it away.
- Managed my water params a little better. Nitrate was reasonably high (still runs high) but I started dosing one quarter tsp of sugar into the sump - I do this every other day.
- Got a conch
- Got a spiny sea urchin
- Got a Lawnmower Blenny
- Got a Yellow Tang with some corals (wasn't planning on him but he's doing great)

One day I woke up, looked at the tank and realized that every bit of hair algae was gone. I don't really know who or what to attribute that to but now, other than needing to clean the glass with a magnet once a week, no algae issues.

dball711;1044484 wrote: I would do everything possible to get it out, if it gets established it might be come a big problem.

+1

All above suggestions are good, just get rid of it!

Back