grind power plugs???

hzheng33

Staff member
Supporting
Reaction score
Peachtree Corners (Near Norcross High School)
i have purchased a Hydor ATO and a Tom's Aqualifter in the last two months through two separate occasions. to my dismay, the plug from the aqualifter won't fit on the outlet of the Hydor ATO because of the "bumps" on the plug for the aqualifter. maybe i'm naive or stupid or a combination of both but can i grind the bumps out so that it will fit? any electrician out there?

i think what the aqualifter has is the polarized plug and the Hydo ATO has un-polarized outlet.

How about a cheapo 3 foot 2 prong extension cord plugged into the Hydor, then the Aqualifter?

leveldrummer;939914 wrote: The bumps are so you install the plug in a specific direction, if you look closely at the outlet, one hole is slightly larger. It's the hole on the left if the third hole is on the bottom.

That's the side that needs to take the prong with the bumps.

sorry i don't understand what you meant but the outlet on the Hydor has only two "un-polarized" receptors while the plug on the Aqualifter has two polarized prongs

i went to Home Depot yesterday and couldn't find any adapter or power extension cord for my use, ARRRRGGGGGG!

Some of the reviews on Amazon say the same thing - the Hydor ATO isn't designed for use with polarized plugs.

Probably something about the ATO being manufactured in a foreign market that doesn't cover UL/CE standards.

Sorry, I wouldn't recommend grinding down the plug to fit - they're polarized for a reason, namely electrical safety.

You probably also won't find any adapters for polarized to non-polarized, again for the same safety reasons.

The polarized plugs are to ensure that the neutral wire of the cord is plugged into the neutral wire of the receptacle. Same for the hot.

Back