Grow out contest?

kodock

Supporting
Reaction score
I was strolling through reef2reef and saw where they have growout competitions. A group of people will get frags of the same colony and track for 6 months, with a grand prize at the end.

A vendor could donate the colony, or maybe even a member. We could have a buy in for the grand prize. It would be interesting to see the ins and outs of differences between how our tanks are setup and what we do that influences growth.

Any votes for one?

While I would not likely participate for a while, I love the idea and would look forward to seeing how different methods compare!

Inlike the idea.  The community has talked about doing it for many years now.   The only issue is its hard to judge growth, color ect unless its a 6 month contest.   Im totally open to firing up contests and getting us all involved more.  :). Maybe you guys can come up with some ideas along with this one and lets get rolling.  :)

One of our sponsors or a member will need a large enough colony to frag out to members who want to participate.

We can pay for the frag (hopefully get a good deal) and have a 10-20 buy in, with a 1st-3rd place or just first place winner. We could show weekly progress and specs.

As long as it isn't a zoa. We would need something hardy but easy to grow. It would need to last at least 6 months.

Maybe at each meet, contestants in first place for the each month growth get an extra ticket in a raffle for staying involved.

Growth would be measured in surface area based on a moderator/judge committee's agreement.

Color is really a tricky one, but I think we can all tell.

I would be more interested in growth. Maybe growth is 1st place, color is 2nd place, and craziest shape be 3rd.

just some options...

Zoas might be an easy one. Zoas are very quantifiable. Start with one. End with ??

I think the bigest part of a contest like this would require pictures to be taken by one camera or cell phone so that they are not manipulated.   Would anyone like to take on the responsibility to head up and run the contest?  Please pm me if interested and we will get the ball rolling.  :)

Thats great Dan and much appreciated!  Ill pm you a little later and we can work out the details.  :)

I think this is a great idea. It can also help others when those that are in the top 5 or so share what they're doing to be successful.

Anything, but zoas lol. I can help orchestrate as much as possible.

Steps I see...

1.) Best way to find number of participant? Take a poll on the forums under the announcements?

2.) Determine the source of donated coral - Vendor or Member - and will it be enough for the number of participants.

3.) Will we pay for the frag, donated, or at least get a deal, as well as, the type and size. I.e - 3/4"-1" acro or other easily measurable frag.

4.) What will be the buy in for the grand prize $10-$25 or more to compensate for monthly prizes.

5.) Cash prize, or gift certificate to vendor.

6.) Timeline, Prize Chart breakdown: monthly? After 6 months only?

7.) Judges - non biased & diverse committee

8.) Evaluation breakdown.

9.) No zoas

Conflictions to address..

Disagreement on judging

If frag dies, no refund

Ways to keep thread contest alive

If people want to join in after we have started

I wouldn't say that any sps is easily measurable. Are you talking about a length measurement? Unless we can weigh each frag plug I don't see length being a good one. If mine grows 1/2" up but yours has completely encrusted the plug and another participant has grown twice the diameter... It's going to have be a subjective observation.

What are you talking about? I was referring to a fresh cut frag would be easy to measure. Encrusting would be an increase in surface area, which still counts as growth. That's why we have a committee who judges based on whatever they seen and no whining or technicalities or we shouldn't do it at all.

Maybe this could be a multi level/category thing. Some people don’t grow SPS (myself included).  I’m more inclined to softies, because I have a bare bones tank and am not able to grow SPS.  Keeping this in mind, it would also allow a few more people to participate than you may normally get if it’s only one certain type of coral.  Just my thoughts.

I will create a private group and as team (I will invite anyone who would like to be on the committee just pm me) we can come up some ideas on the best species and ways to measure and develop a fair competition that will allow as many members as possible to compete.   Perhaps we should do a quarterly competition with different species every three months.  Softies, sticks, zoas and montis.  Or something to that effect.

So I recently moved out here from Colorado, I'm a member of the MASC group out there. We have regular grow out contests at MASC and I've never seen anyone run into problems with it out there, so I am including the original post from one they just started, at the top of the post are basic instructions for zoas, acros at the bottom. Hope this may help a little....

This will be the thread for the photos and information regarding the JF Firecracker grow out contest. All pics needed for this contest must be posted here.</em>
Contest notes</em>
1. Entry fee is labeled with each potential contest frag, this covers your cost of the frag, transportation, a donation to MASC and puts $$ in the pool for the winner(s). Winner pot is whatever remains after cost of frag and donation with minimum pool being $30 for some of the higher priced frags this pool will be much higher based on minimum buy ins.</em>
2. Frags will be cut two weeks before contest start and individually numbered. Once numbered, you'll randomly be assigned a number, and pickup your frag. There will be no cherry picking, all luck of the draw.</em>
3. Each contestant must post a photo of their frag within 48hrs of contest start/time, or from when you receive your frag.</em>
4. Each contestant must post a picture each month by the 10th.</em>
5. All frags must remain on original plug until the end of the contest</em>
6. Each contestant must post a final picture to be counted by the deadline of the Saturday before Reefed</em>
7. ____ is final judge in deciding Head or Baby in pictures if needed of zoas and responsible for any weighing or desrcepencies at Reefed.</em>
8. Grow time will be from the delivery of frags at the 2017 Coral Extravaganza to Reefed.</em>
9. If your frag melts, post up so we know you're out. Maybe the winner will frag you a head</em>
10. If your frag comes off it's plug, you can re-attach, but you must post up additional picture once re-attached within 48 hours.</em>
11. Frags can be moved within your tank at your discretion. Just be prepared to share what worked in the end.</em>
12. Contestants not following the rules may be disqualified. Let's not have to use this!</em>
13. Winner(s) will split pot evenly in the event of a tie that cannot be resolved, currently unknown.</em>
14. Definitions: Baby is considered any closed polyp, or any where you cannot see face and developed skirt in the same photo. Head is considered any polyp where a face and skirt is easily visible.</em>

JF Firecracker $60 buy in Prize Pool $15 per buy in</em>

All frags must remain on initial frag plug for the duration of the contest. Acro frags will be 3/4-1" same cut schedule. Acros will be measured on overall growth if a clear winner is not evident then we will go buy weight of frag to be measured at Reefed. Each participant must post monthly photos of their frags with a ruler indicating size to remain eligible for prizes these photos will be due on the 10th of each month and the final photo will be due the week before Reefed. Any potential ties and final judging as needed will be conducted at Reefed and any participant that will need to bring their frag/s to Reefed will be notified in the week prior to the event. Each contest that runs will have a thread created for pictures.</em>

All frags are to be picked up at the December meeting and the deadline for any pickups will be Jan 6th to be considered for the grow out contest, frags not picked up by then can still be received but will not be eligible for the prize pool.</em>

Please send Payments for this contest to _______ or pay cash at the 2017 Coral Extravaganza. I will update this post as people have paid and post final prize pool following the official start of the contest. Pics of frags will be available later this week.</em>

Back