GSP's going fuzzy...

johnqx4

Market
Reaction score
I have a tank that is shallow and has fairly low lighting. It is a 30 gallon tank that is long (48"), therefore it is only a foot deep. With the rock most of the corals are only a couple of inches from the top.

The tank has 4 48" NO's (2 t-12's and 2 t-8's all 40watt URI bulbs atinic and 50/50). It is not a ton of light, but it is160 watts and the tank is shallow. I have nothing but softies in it and all are doing fairly well, except the Green Star Polyps. I have 4 or 5 frags around the tank. They did well for a while. Then, one at a time, they went "fuzzy". It looks like "purple" hair algae.

I have almost no hair algae in the tank as the cleaning crew and Sally Lightfoot do a fine job.

Question: Is it likely to be the lack of light that is the problem. Water prams are fine and the bio load is extremely low. Cleaning crew and crab are it - No Fish. And there arent that many corals as it is a lightly loaded fragging tank.

BTW, it also has a 20 gallon sump with Macro algae's and reverse lighting. Tank is fairly mature (6 months old). I had a fairly low water flow (just the 250 gph sump return), but I recently poped a couple of power heads in to churn it up a bit.

BTW, I'm not running the skimmer because of the low bio load and newness of the tank (trying to get the coralines seeded first).

I do run Chemi-pure in the sump. There is a pretty good amount of live rock and the tanks and Sump are jampacked full of pods. BTW, if anyone wants to drop a dragonette for a month or two, I could probably fatten it up :)

Thanks - johnny

Johnny,

When you say they have "purple fuzz", do you mean something is growing on your GSP, or does it look like the GSP are disintegrating?

If your other soft corals are doing well, I highly doubt that lighting is to blame. Do you have a lot of leathers? Sometimes the toxins they release can pack a mean punch and really have an effect on fellow tankmates, especially if no carbon filter is run.

Flipturn88 wrote: Johnny,

When you say they have "purple fuzz", do you mean something is growing on your GSP, or does it look like the GSP are disintegrating?

Well, Kinda yes and no... the fuzz looks like it is growing from the GSP's (they generally look purple when they are not extended). 5 different spots and all of them are doing it.

I don't have carbon (at the moment), but I have chemi-pure. I may add carbon...

thanks,

johnny

Back