Gyre pumps recommendations?

Dmac

Market
Reaction score
I'm currently using two jebao pumps in my 120. Trying to keep some SPS and I feel like I need more flow. I used to have three or four pumps in there but I really don't want all that in the tank. I can't stomach the price of the vortechs LOL, and honestly neither could my wife. Are the gyre pumps the only real option for two pumps or less to get flow throughout the whole tank?

I have both vortech and gyres in my 6ft tank. 2 xf350 gyres on either side along with 1 MP40 on one side pushing water along the backside of my rocks and 2 MP40s on my back wall dialed way down. I started with only gyres and added MP40s along the way. The gyres will move a lot of water but they do require more frequent cleanings to stay effective.

I have 2 Gyres XF350's in my 225 and had 1 in my 120. I also had 1 MP40 and 1 MP10 as well in my 120. The Gyre is an extremely powerful pump, even if you go down to a XF330. I would get a Gyre XF330 and run it about 20-30 percent and add the Jebao's on the other side. They do require more maintenance to maintain the flow. I need to clean the pump heads every 1-2 weeks to keep the flow at 100 percent capacity. They will usually loose 10-20 percent if not cleaned within a month.

In my 225 I run 2 Gyre XF350's and 2 MP40's.

I always say that a Gyre doesn't move water, it moves the whole tank.

You guys have some crazy setups but you're doing the exact opposite of what I'm trying to do, lol. I want fewer pumps in my tank. I think I may try crossflow and one of my current pumps for the back wall.

You guys have some crazy setups but you're doing the exact opposite of what I'm trying to do, lol. I want fewer pumps in my tank. I think I may try crossflow and one of my current pumps for the back wall.
The thing is you will always need at least 2 pumps to create turbulence and such in a tank. A gyre will move a massive amount of water, but it will not be turbulent without another pump. You could put a XF330 on one side and a Jebao on the other side.

I have two Gyre 250s in my 120. One on each side with them ramping up and down opposite to each other once a minute. That was the center of turbulence is always moving back and forth across the tank. Works great, but a PITA to keep clean.

Best gyre pump I have found from a maintenance perspective is the Ice Cap gyres. Maxpect needs lots of maintenance to keep them running at full speed.

The Ice caps can be noisy, that was what I didn't like about them, they have a higher pitch sound compared to the Maxspects in my opinion. Design wise they are also very close to the Maxspects. I use a pair of Maxspect Gyre 230's for my 90 gallon that work well, I run them at 100%. I only clean them about once every three months. They probably really need an every other month schedule for my mixed reef as the flow does drop off over time as others have mentioned.

I have a 36x18 footprint 55 gallon, for those with experience with the jebao gyre would you recommend the 70 or the 90

I have a 36x18 footprint 55 gallon, for those with experience with the jebao gyre would you recommend the 70 or the 90
I have 2 scp-90's in my 72 g bowfront. I have seen one scp-70 in a 40B and it didn't look like enough flow. It actually didn't seem to make ~40% of the power of a scp-90. If I had your tank I would go with a scp-90 run at 40-50% with another powerhead to create turbulence.

I have 2 scp-90's in my 72 g bowfront. I have seen one scp-70 in a 40B and it didn't look like enough flow. It actually didn't seem to make ~40% of the power of a scp-90. If I had your tank I would go with a scp-90 run at 40-50% with another powerhead to create turbulence.
Thanks for the info, that is what I was thinking but I didn't want to get the bigger pump if it was going to be too powerful even on the lowest setting

I want to add my 2 cents here. I have the Icecaps and can not hear it unless I put it above about 40 percent. Even then it is still within tolerance in my living room next to the television as long as I dont go above about 60%. The tank it is in is a 60 cube 24X24X24 and I agree with the previous post about less to maintain. The app they are on is extremely easy to manage. The one time I submitted a help ticket they were able to fix it via the cloud while I was at work. They even owned up to being the cause of the confusion with the last software update. I chose ice cap as it has a lot of the same features and similar ratings to other gyres that cost significantly more. I have had mine for over a year and only had one issue after a software update which was resolved same day with a single e-mail. I also liked that they are offered with the controller or as a single unit if you just want to add another one. One is enough in my cube at 40 percent to make the corners bare of gravel from the flow. If I pulse it above that the fish struggle to swim it seems like. The Ice Caps IMO are worth taking a look at. I will say though somewhere above 50% power they do begin to whine a bit but at that power in my tank you are almost ripping the palys off the rocks.

Back