Hair Algae in a *Fallow* Tank.

linda lee

Market
Reaction score
We've removed the fish from the 180g to allow it to sit for a month while the life cycle of any ich expires. Now with the absence of the tangs, the hair algae has sprouted. I know this can quickly spread and take over the tank.

Since the inverts are still in the tank, I'm wondering if I can add a seahare? One of those wouldn't be a host for any ich or other pest we're trying to eradicate from the tank, would it?

Any suggestions other than a seahare? The hermies are doing nothing.

I don't know if this is hair or not, but it appeared on my sump return nozzles in the last three days. Gladly, my Mexican Turbo (though he is a klutz and knocks over rocks 20 times his size, and anything else he touches) has discovered it. He is leaving a path that looks like a snowplow!

I wish I had more insight on your algae issue, but if you don't have turbos (and if this is indeed hair algae) maybe it's a possibility?

1239930562.jpg
alt="" />

coolsurf;328841 wrote: Have you thought about lights out for a couple of days?

We have a lot of corals in there and a couple of anemonies. Would an extended *lights out* be detrimental to them?

Linda Lee;328847 wrote: We have a lot of corals in there and a couple of anemonies. Would an extended *lights out* be detrimental to them?

don't do that!

When I first set up may tank hair algae was running rampant! Wen to fish scales got a few turbos, some nass's and some Caribbean nerite snails and bam in less than 2 days all gone! And this stuff was thick and covered all the LR!:eek:

sea hare would be ok, but a couple top crown snails would also do the trick. Do a major water change with a 1/2 hose as a siphon, and vacuum that crap out!

stop feeding.

what are your trates & phates at?

I would like to hear some other responses. IMO, I don't think a day or two would hurt but long term yes. There are a lot of folks that do the 6 days on 1 day off cycle and don't have a problem. Some snails will help munch it away...even a temporary extra heavy clean up crew until your fish go back in. I would try the snails first and suck the water from the bottom during changes since that is where MI lives.

I'll just cut the cycle down....not off but just give them a few hours a day.

Tank only needs to run fallow until the 30th.

I'll check the params tommorow.

The feeding is very very light...just a few pellets every morning to feed the inverts.

Keep a close eye on everyone during the cut back phase. They should be ok but it doesn't hurt to watch.

I believe we also need a room-darkening shade or mini-blinds on the window in that room. I've heard too much natural daylight can contribute to algae growth.

Barry, I'm not sure what that growth is on your lockline -- it doesn't look like the hair algae I have. Mine actually looks like green hair and is darker than that. Could be turf algae, perhaps? Maybe someone else can ID this for you.

Be glad when this is over and I can put this tank back together!

Could it be the two T-bone steaks I have been hanging in the overflows to give my tank a beefy aroma??????

Seedless Reefer;328864 wrote: Be glad when this is over and I can put this tank back together!

Could it be the two T-bone steaks I have been hanging in the overflows to give my tank a beefy aroma??????

It's the marinade.

Seedless Reefer;328871 wrote: Knew that Teriyaki would get the best of me somehow!

How's the cardinal?

Bored in the QT but MAN does he eat! I've never seen a cardinal move like that. He's a reincarnated shark.

Seedless Reefer;328855 wrote: I'll just cut the cycle down....not off but just give them a few hours a day.

Tank only needs to run fallow until the 30th.

you can shut them down for 24 hours or so, but I wouldn't do it more than that. The issue is what you are feeding the algae. Killing it off temporarily will do just that, kill it off temp.

Algae needs trates & phates (and light, co2, etc), so you must limit your nutrients.

Trates are in the water column, and stay in the water column. water changes and food reduction, and a good filter system that is not a nitrate factory will work.

phates however, get absorbed in everything. Live rock, sand, whatever, all can hold vast amounts of phates. water changes might not even be noticeable, depending on how much is already in your rock & such.

anyway.......

cr500_af;328874 wrote: Bored in the QT but MAN does he eat! I've never seen a cardinal move like that. He's a reincarnated shark.

It could be that one is the male and it was the female that died. The male may have just come off of a 3-week fast while carrying young.

ooooooooooooo I just thought of something!

I had a cleaner shrimp die and he got lost in the tank before I could get him would that do it?????

Thought you were doing daily tests though. Have the nitrates been high?

I imagine those ravenous hermies or the serpent star took care of the CS.

TDS is still 0, so there wouldn't be phospates, right?

Thanks for the input, Ralph!

Back