Hairlike protrusions melting Zoas?

Doberman13

Trustee
Staff member
Supporting
Contest Committee
Reaction score
I have had these utter chaos zoas from the start they were doing great, at one point I had about 25-30 polyps.Each polyp was about a half an inch or larger in diameter. Around March or April they started slowly shrinking and losing polyps. Just last week I noticed these hairlike "tentacles" protruding from under the frag plug. They seem to move on their own, at first I thought it was a micro brittle star but it hasn't moved from that location in about a week.
IMG_20200720_230306.jpg

On further searching I saw some on the scrambled egg zoas I had got back in March. The ones on the SE zoas are a little red in color
IMG_20200720_230249~2.jpg

Everything seems to point to hydroids. What do y'all think?

Yea the tentacles are very long compared to aptasia and the small branching hydroids. Definitely looks like spaghetti worms I didn't think the would bother zoas that much but I guess it has just been prolonged irritation.

Spaghetti worm irritating the zoas into closing up. Get some super glue (gel) and cover the area. I suppose a 2 part epoxy would do the same thing. You could always try a dip/scrub to get at it but I think the glue is the easiest route. Zoas can be touchy little things.

Or maybe get a coris wrasse, 6 line, or other fish that would love to have a free meal.

Unfortunately my tank is too small for most wrasse species and at 22g display(30g sump) it's already at max capacity with 2 clowns, tailspot blenny, red dragonet goby, and a Springer's damsel. Still having issues with low nitrates and phosphates even with feeding a cube of mysis per day.

Unfortunately my tank is too small for most wrasse species and at 22g display(30g sump) it's already at max capacity with 2 clowns, tailspot blenny, red dragonet goby, and a Springer's damsel. Still having issues with low nitrates and phosphates even with feeding a cube of mysis per day.
If you're doing that well with you organics then a Coris Wrasse should be ok. Add some yellow to the tank too.

Hmm... yeah, and the Springeri damsel and the Dragonets May still pick on spaghetti worms. So I agree that it may be too much.

I remember the Golden Era of reefing when everyone had issues with high nitrates/phosphates. The last year or two I've heard quite a few stories of these nutrients being too low. I wonder what the deal is? I struggle with it myself and until a year ago I couldn't imagine having this issue let alone dosing chemicals to bring those levels up.

Back