Halide Kelvin rating

gixxer600

Market
Reaction score
I have 2 175 watt halides that have a 10,000k rating and i was wondering what is the best "K" rating to go with or what does everybody seem to like? Your help is much appreciated.

gixxer600;284893 wrote: I have 2 175 watt halides that have a 10,000k rating and i was wondering what is the best "K" rating to go with or what does everybody seem to like? Your help is much appreciated.
A 10k is going to give you a more White color with better growth, a 20k will give you more of the blue spectrum with less growth, around a 15k is a mixture of white and blue with medium growth...

Or so I hear..

I like my Phoenix but I am probably going to switch out to Radium 20k because I really like them, and am not super concerned about growth.

I have learned not to rely on K rating when it comes to bulbs. There are 14k's that are like 10k's, 20k's that give more par the 14k ratings. I just research and go with a proven bulb that I like the color. The pheonix bulbs mentioned are great but are alot bluer than some other 14k bulbs. The ushios tend to whiter. Par numbers are all over the place when you look at some of the bulbs with the same K rating.

johnr2604;284959 wrote: I have learned not to rely on K rating when it comes to bulbs. There are 14k's that are like 10k's, 20k's that give more par the 14k ratings. I just research and go with a proven bulb that I like the color. The pheonix bulbs mentioned are great but are alot bluer than some other 14k bulbs. The ushios tend to whiter. Par numbers are all over the place when you look at some of the bulbs with the same K rating.
This is true... Thats why I use flashlights...:D

Read up here on Sanjay Joshi's lighting testing: http://www.manhattanreefs.com/lighting">http://www.manhattanreefs.com/lighting</a>

Much of it depends on what kind of look you want. If you have a 75g or 90g tank (or 120 or anyother 4' long standard tank) and put two 250w bulbs over it, you're good to go for just about anything.

The important part is matching the right bulbs with good reflectors/mounts and the right ballast. From Sanjay's testing, you can outdo the PAR on a 10k with the worst 14k if you put the wrong ballast on the 10K and the right one on the 14k.

Back