Halide Question

dvara78

Market
Reaction score
I have a Current USA 150w HQI fixture. Every now and then the light will be on and it's fine, then all of a sudden it just turns off. I thought it might be over heating since the unit itself is hot.

I hope it not the ballast...does anyone have any ideas.
Here is the model number of the unit that I have CU 01040
If it is the ballast, does anyone have an idea of cost for a replacemen. The bulb is new - less than six months. I have spares so I could try another bulb in the mean time.

Any input is appreciated.

Cheers,

Dil

Hey Dil, try the replacement bulb, but I've got a pretty good idea it's the ballast. Ballasts can be pretty expensive, but cheaper than a whole new fixture.

brianjfinn;553248 wrote: Hey Dil, try the replacement bulb, but I've got a pretty good idea it's the ballast. Ballasts can be pretty expensive, but cheaper than a whole new fixture.

+1 for that. If it's cycling on and off...more than likely it's the ballast. You may want to post here for a ballast in Wanted to Buy. You just never know who might have one that will fit the bill. Another suggestion, and I learned this one the hard way, have a spare ballast available because they always seem to go out at the wrong time.

A quick check on eBay only listed new ballasts and the cheapest one was an ARO ballast at $100 plus shipping. There were also Coralvues and others out there but I suspect you may do much better on here or through an LFS.

+1 on trying an old bulb for a few days. Also, make sure the connectors on the bulb are not arc'ed or burned indicating a bad connection between the socket and bulb.

I had a ballast that was doing the exact same thing.. Ended up swapping it out for the beastly 56lb Blue Wave 7..

I'm with everyone above though, try a different bulb to verify that's not the problem..

Check Imagine Oceans consignment thread in the sponsor section. For some reason i think she had a 150 HQI ballast for $50. Don't quote me on that, but worth a look.

Hey Guys,

Thanks for all the input...turns out it was just a dumb mistake on my part. The fan on the light fixutre only runs when the actinics are on and I normally keep them on. With summer heat I began turning the actinics off when the halide came on so there wasn't a way to cool the halide ballast.

Anyway, when I leave the actinics on with the halide, everything is fine and it doesn't switch off by itself. I'm just glad i don't need a new ballast. If i did then i'd probably upgrade to the maxspect g2 and kill two birds with one stone.

New lights and battle the temp issue!

Back