Hammer vs Frogspawn Aggression

joeyprice

Reaction score
I have a hammer that is mean as a rattlesnake, it won't tolerate anything but another Euphyllia anywhere near it. My Frogspawn on the other hand seems much less aggressive. Is this really the case, or is it just biding its time until I'm not looking and then going to sting the crap out of something?

There's always the chance that it'll extend some sweepers and sting stuff around it. That goes for any coral that's capable of extending sweepers. I've had a chalice in the same spot for 15-16 years and it's been a model citizen. However, I fragged it and it went to town stinging everything around it. I couldn't believe how long the sweepers were. In this case I upset it and it reacted but now I know how capable it is. I would say that your frogspawn is similar. Who knows what the trigger might be? I've had corals break bad when I did a water change.

I know all of this and I still put stuff too close together. Usually it happens over a long period of time. Some stuff grows, I scooch something one way or the other and caps just seem to tighten up. In your case the frogspawn is a bit more passive but there's always the possibility that it could sting it's neighbors.

Back