Hang on the tank skimmer

gixxer600

Market
Reaction score
i need to get a skimmer but i am going to need one that hangs on the tank. My tank is a 90 Gal. any infromation would be great. Also if anyone has one for sale please let me know.

people like octopus's units a lot. downside seems to be that the metric plumbing sizes makes it impossible to repair on your own.

Aqua C urchin or remoras are supposed to be really good HOBs.

thanks for the help. Do you know the best place to get one and about how much they run?

Bermuda also has a really nice HOB now. That and the Remora are the only one's I'd even consider.

I was looking at it compared to the Red Sea Prism when I was buying. The disadvantages that I read about online was that the Red Sea didn't compare in build quality /longevity. Apparently, they can crack pretty easily. I'm not sure if this is so, it's just what I inferred from various reviews.

I went with the aqua C Remora with Mag 3, and it works really well. It seems very sturdy and I think it looks good as a HOB (it is square and black, kinda less noticeable sticking up than the round clear ones I think). It is also very quite with a paper towel mod, IMO. The downside is that they are really expensive, but a used one might just be the ticket...

Just fold up a paper towel and stick it over the injector port to kinda seal it up. Sounds kinda strange, but works. I think I read about it on this forum somewhere. You can also make a seal out of some light plastic like a margarine tub with air tubing for seals (on here also, I think).

dawgdude;148004 wrote: Im confused about this mod.....can you take a pic of it? Mine is a bit loud and if I could make it quieter that would be great.

I can't really, as it is really hard for me to get to in the sump. Let me try to explain better:

When you remove the collection box from the remora, you have 3 compartments, about equal in size. Looking down, the left one is the one the pump inlet comes into with the jet/venturi/whatever they call it. The bubble-maker. The center is where the bubbles come up into the collection cup, right? Well, if you get a full sheet of paper towel and fold it up into a square about the size of the hole that the jet is in. Push it down over the top of the jet nozzle, where it will sit between the nozzle and the collection box (once replaced). Once the paper towel gets a little damp (and it will) it will kinda create a sound seal over the jet, which is the noisy part. Then, just replace the paper towel whenever you empty the collector.

Does that help?

Yeah, I knew I found it SOMEWHERE. I just use the paper towel because I'm lazy and it works. Just give it a shot and you will see, then you can decide on the plastic fancy-pants version ;)

bonniesherrie;148007 wrote: The Red Sea prism skimmer that my Dad has is one that I pulled from my old 75G tank supplies. Its 7 years old and still kicking so I don't know much about the cracking issue. If I remember correctly, it was around $100.00 when I purchased it many years ago.

Yeah, I agree that it might be a few-far between case. I just read online review here and there that mentioned it. I really came close to getting the Prism just because it is so much more affordable, and the reviews on it's actual skimming abilities were pretty good. BTW, I also noticed that Cap Bay runs the Prisms on a few of their tanks. Just FYI, but maybe they'd have some input as well.

Mmm, sometimes my Remora bubbles over just a little. I think there is another cheap mod for that too... But overall it is very minimal for me.

If you're looking for a "serious" HOT skimmer check out
a>, I have their HVS2-24 with a MAG9 --it's a beast

Back