Hanging 3 Radion XR30w Pro?

tanked

Market
Reaction score
I am going to make my own rail kit for my Radions. My tank is 72x24x24. I two plastic dividers every 2 feet splitting the tank into thirds. I have seen the Ecotech's diagrams for their rail kits but im really just not sure how far from the edge of the tank.

Let me know what you think

BTW how do you post pictures? All i can figure out is how to attach items.
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
1050628=63977-Radion layout 1.jpg
>
1050628=63977-Radion layout 1.jpg
class="gc-images" title="Radion layout 1.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a>
1050628=63978-Radion layout 2.jpg
>
1050628=63978-Radion layout 2.jpg
class="gc-images" title="Radion layout 2.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

I wouldn't DIY even though it is totally possible. 95% of DIY projects look DIY. If I had dropped $2,200 for led fixtures, I would not want them hanging from a DIY looking rail. I would rather pay the $100 and get the prefabricated rail kit sold by the manufacturer.

Just my opinion.

Regarding the orientation, my initial thought is to orient the lights so that the fixture will be parallel to the tank. This puts both the light pucks closer to the front of the tank where you will most likely have the most need for light.

With that said, the light distribution illustration provided by Ecotech makes me think that the difference you would experience based on the two different orientations would be minimal and hardly noticeable.

I love DIY projects, so be sure to post pictures!

The Tank is being recessed into another room so the looks of the hanging rail isn't a major concern though I'm confident it should look pretty good. Ill be sure to post some pictures.

I was thinking of going parallel with the lights. Still not sure how far off the edge of the tank the fixture should be. I may just be over thinking this.

Centering the fixtures over each third should give pretty good coverage and is what I typically see.

Your rock scape and coral placement should ultimately influence whether or not you cheat the fixtures one way or another. For instance, if you go with the rock wall type look at the back of the tank, it may make sense to cheat the fixtures forward a little bit. If you like the island look, it may make sense to center the lights over the islands.

As you build this fixture, I would place a great level of importance on making the position of the lights adjustable.

JBDreefs;1050644 wrote: Centering the fixtures over each third should give pretty good coverage and is what I typically see.

Your rock scape and coral placement should ultimately influence whether or not you cheat the fixtures one way or another. For instance, if you go with the rock wall type look at the back of the tank, it may make sense to cheat the fixtures forward a little bit. If you like the island look, it may make sense to center the lights over the islands.

As you build this fixture, I would place a great level of importance on making the position of the lights adjustable.

+1
i had that size tank twice and i have centered the radions on both, and i am working on a 300 gallons DD with 36" wide so on this one i am going to cheat the fixtures back a little and adding 2 retro T5's one on the front and one on the back. hope that helps

If you really want to do DIY (I'm with JBD here), I'd say either electrical conduit bent to about 100 degrees (to give a little bend for the weight of the lights) and some paint, or assemble an 80/20 rail (8020.net). The 80/20 would be stronger, but it's more expensive.

I have almost the same size tank and mine are parallel. I did it this way because I also run T5 lights in front and behind the Radions. As already mentioned adjustability is key because placement of rock and corals will determine where light is needed the most. I'm sure there are cheaper options, but I used the AI 72in rails to mount the Radions on.

I looked up the AI rails and its cheaper than the radion mounts. Did you have to make any mods to attach them to the rails?

atlfishes;1050836 wrote: I have almost the same size tank and mine are parallel. I did it this way because I also run T5 lights in front and behind the Radions. As already mentioned adjustability is key because placement of rock and corals will determine where light is needed the most. I'm sure there are cheaper options, but I used the AI 72in rails to mount the Radions on.

Tanked;1063564 wrote: I looked up the AI rails and its cheaper than the radion mounts. Did you have to make any mods to attach them to the rails?

do you use canopy?

No canopy. I have some shelving I can hang something from. My options are open I could do just about anything.

Back