Hannah HI98319

jcook54

Secretary
Staff member
Supporting
Contest Committee
Reaction score
Best purchase ever- can never see the Refractometer without straining my eyes. This thing works like a charm and is only off by a minimal amount and is super consistent.

Hanna makes great, lab quality gear. I just picked up their Ph meter - it’s sitting in solution for its break-in right now!

I picked up one of the Milwaukee salinity testers for a decent price on eBay. Not as convenient as a dip-in probe, but I’ve been really happy with it, FWIW.

I'd like to revisit this questions and post a review. I received the Hannah HI98319 as a Christmas gift and it's the best thing I've purchased for this hobby in a long time. Of course I didn't actually purchase it but y'all know what I mean. It's super easy to calibrate and had made testing the salinity & temp in my tanks so much easier. For nearly 20 years I've been using a Vial Sine SR6 https://pentairaes.com/vital-sine.html and have been very happy with it. However, it's nowhere near as easy at the Hanna handheld meter. With the refractometer I would test, clean, and dry the viewing area before each test and I ended up not doing it as often as I should have. Fortunately there haven been no problems but with this meter I test all of my tanks and freshly mixed saltwater in less than a minute and I really, really like it. I wish I would have purchased one long ago. This is the same statement I made years ago about the magnetic algae scrapers. I didn't want to spend the money to get one until I finally did and it was worth every penny.

One thing to note, I think the Hanna meter might be a bit too accurate. The refractomer was a temperature compensated model but there wasn't too much fluctuation and I kept everything at 1.025 which is the specific gravity and I have the Hanna meter set to display in ppt. There just seems to be a bit more variation in the readings using the Hanna and it took some getting used to. I didn't know that temperature effected the salinity so much and I've had to get comfortable with the ppt readings.

Love the Hannah salt checker :) when you reach a certain age and your eyes don’t like refractometers, the Hannah is a perfect solution :) .

Back