Hard plumbed return question.

jdw

Reaction score
Quick question I just thought of. If you hard plumb a return pump, could you use the pvc to suspend the pump itself thereby cutting out the vibration?

Obviously, you would have to support the pvc with brackets. I wouldnt want to try it on a heavy return pump like a mag9.5 , but maybe on a smaller one?

Personally I wouldn't over time the vibration could crack the pvc and could potentially creat a huge problem. Now if they were no bends and was a strait shot up would be safer. I'm running a dc pump. It's hard plumbed with pvc from the pump to the tank no flexible tubing and all I hear is next to nothing coming from the pump. The one thing I did ise is a sliding coupler and seals with rubber grommets inside so you can adjust the length.1588605270801494413896542725017.jpg

I have hard plumbed dc return pumps but for my current tank I’m using a foot of silicone. There was a slight humming but nothing compared to some of my other equipment

I have 6 inches of silicone between my pump (Varios 4) and return and I literally cannot even tell the pump is running.

I wouldn't suspend the pump either. I had a DCP18000 hard plumbed in my last system. Between the silicone feet on it and the unions above there was no noise from the pump what so ever. It was running near 100% the whole time too. If you have a louder A/C pump then I'd do it the way the others have above but also put a silicone pad underneath it. I've used silicone pot holders in the past, much cheaper than a pad marketed as a vibration pad and it's the same thing. You can find them on Amazon.

You will want at least 8" of vinyl hose on the intake and outlet of the pump as well as a mouse pad (or any neoprene sheet) under the pump.

Thats about the best bet for vibration isolation.

You will want at least 8" of vinyl hose on the intake and outlet of the pump as well as a mouse pad (or any neoprene sheet) under the pump.

Thats about the best bet for vibration isolation.
Wondering why a hose is needed on the intake? Does it help in some way?

I am using pieces of this, about 1 foot, at each end of the pvc pipe runs to isolate vibration & eliminate any offset issues. Never hardens or yellows, resists build up & is chemically inert. Just secure onto hose barbs with ratcheting plastic hose clamps. It’s the best!

Last edited:
I am using pieces of this, about 1 foot, at each end of the pvc pipe runs to isolate vibration & eliminate any offset issues. Never hardens or yellows, resists build up & is chemically inert. Just secure onto hose barbs with ratcheting plastic hose clamps. It’s the best!

That‘s similar to what we did, works pretty well.

If you put a silicone mat under the pump, between that and the tubing the pump will be almost silent.

Back