Hard plumbing return pump

Collink91

Supporting
Reaction score
I have read certain places where people have said that even if you are hard plumbing your return, that you should include 3-6 inches of soft tubing that connects the pump to the hard plumbing. I'd prefer to just run the pump with the same schedule 80 pipe that I used for the rest of the build.

the soft tubing offers you some level of flexibility in the event that you cut the pvc pipes in the wrong length.

for me, it's a direct pvc to pump plumbing. it did take a while to make sure that all lengths are correct tho.

There's no problem with hard plumbing everything. Just plan and use unions. You'll want one within a foot or less of the pump and make sure it's accessible enough so you can easily loosen & tighten it.

I plumb all my pumps direct to pipe. As mentioned, just plan unions and/or unioned check or ball valves.

I have read where the soft tubing helps with vibration and helps keep the tank more silent. I ran braided clear hose for about 6 inches to a union on my 90g tank build. I had no complaints about it.

Fwiw, I’ve done both. Placing a piece of heavy/thick spun fiber filter material or a foam rubber pad under (maybe beside also) your return pump, will do more to reduce vibration than anything else. Whatever you do, think about what will be the easiest, for you to access & remove the pump for cleaning or possibly repair/replacement. Bad things often happen at inconvenient times!

In this hobby, I’ve found that convenience may run a close 2nd, 3rd or 4th behind patience, as far as what’s most important.

What may matter most to the corals is consistency. Make creating that as easy as possible for you!

I hard plumbed my return pump line. I measured carefully and it wasn't a big deal. My tank is in a large area where noise isn't a concern. I am not sure how quiet things can be, but here's mine.

196fb5b94f7ea4928b84dc45b7241b49.jpg

Sent from my SM-F900U1 using Tapatalk

Back