Hard tank scum

bugsy

Reaction score
RECENTLY BOUGHT SEVERAL USED TANKS FROM A EX-BREEDER.....THESE TANKS HAVE A WHITE HAZE THAT I CANT GET TO COME OFF.....WASHED AND HOSED TANKS:unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure: ,WASHED IN VINEGAR,:yuk::yuk::yuk::yuk::yuk::yuk::yuk:SOAKED IN VINEGAR FOR A COUPLE DAYS....TANKS STILL HAVE WHITE HAZY SCUM GLASS FEELS SMOOTH ON BOTH SIDES IF YOU HAVE ANY SUGGESTIONS ,I WOULD APPRECIATE ANY HELP? THANKS GREG

Usually vinegar soak and a good scraper will get hard water stains/calcium/coralline off.

If it's at the water line, try soaking some paper towels or rags in straight white vinegar, turn the tank on its side, leave the rag on the stain for a while, then get out the scraper after a hearty meal ;)

If that doesn't get it off, it may be scratches or abrasions - those won't come off.

Jenn

Some muriatic acid should work well. Should be available at Home Depot in the pool area. Just be careful, and wear eye and skin protection.

Not a suggestion, but more of a question to those that may know. Would C.L.R. work for this or is there a concern over it being absorbed in the silicone and leached out later into the tank water? I guess the same question applies to the muratic acid or other suggestions above.

I have had glass tops get that same scum on them when they are over FW tanks. I have never been able to get them off.

If the glass feels smooth, then the glass may be etched, and then you cannot do much.

If muriatic acid doesn't work, then I'd say it is etched.
Dave

Chymos45;409307 wrote: Not a suggestion, but more of a question to those that may know. Would C.L.R. work for this or is there a concern over it being absorbed in the silicone and leached out later into the tank water? I guess the same question applies to the muratic acid or other suggestions above.

I've never had CLR do anything for me...... It's pretty much junk in my opinion, smelly junk at that.

I had a 30g that was slightly etched in front, if thats the case, then nothing will help. On an up note, it isn't near as obvious once the tank is full of water and the lights are on.

REALLY HAS BEEN FRUSTRATING....TRIED CLR AND LIME AWAY....NO DIFFERENCE AT ALL WELL I ALWAYS WANTED TO HAVE SOME LIVE ROCK TANKS:shout::shout::lol2::lol2: EVEN WHEN FULL OF WATER THEY LOOK BAD.......AND THATS BAD ,THATS THE REASON FOR CAPS SO I CAN READ WHAT I TYPED:eek::lol2::eek::lol2: APPRECIATE YOUR TIME AND HELP GREG

LITTLE UPDATE.....TRIED MURATIC ACID ...PRETTY WICKED STUFF...BUT TO NO AVAIL...REALLY DISAPPOINTED ...I GUESS I WILL TURN THESE 10 TANKS INTO LIVEROCK TANKS:doh::doh::doh::doh::doh::doh: WELL THIS ENDS ARE DAILY BROADCAST FOR THE DAY:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:GOOD DAY GREG

I use a razor blade with vingar and water in a spray bottle - just use blaes for a utility knofe and of course use proper caution for a sharp object and damp hands - I would not do it on anything but glass or even use too much pressure just light consistant pressure and i have luck getting it to peel off

I use a glass scraper with a blade on it. You can get one at walmart for about 3 bucks I think. When you use the blade on the tank, hold it on an acute angle so you don't scratch the glass. Soaking the glass with vinegar beforehand is always good.

Usually these are hard water stains and they will not come off. I tried just about every chemical that was non toxic and some came off but most did not. It becomes etched into the glass like a watermark.

I have this on my tank too. First SW tank, 55 gal, got it cheap, looks ok with lights on and water in it. Makes for some crappy pictures through the glass but what can ya do? Next time ill buy new or know better what to watch out for. Lesson learned after trying every product imaginable.

I tried everything under the sun and every technique I could find on google and the end result was the same. I guess mine was etched in. The route I'm taking next with the tank (120 gallon) is to make it a sump for my 235 custom, since I can't do a whole lot else with it.

How about those hand held steam cleaners? You know the ones they show that you can use to clean shower doors, windows, countertops and other stuff. I really need to borrow one and try it out, I think it may work.

I actually have one, i NEVER thought of using it. See if biglots has them in stock, thats where i got mine. You will never scrub caked on food off the stove again with that little sucker. It is quite handy.

Back