hard wire or wireless apex?

picoreefguy

Market
Reaction score
i'm trying to decide how i should connect my apex to the internet. my two options are to install an ethernet face plate in two walls and run cable under the house between them or get a wireless gaming adapter. both would cost me almost the same but running cable would require me to do a little drilling and fishing through walls and getting under the house. so the question is, are there any big advantages to having the system hardwired. if i run the wire for the apex ill run an extra one and hardwire my pc as well. cause why not right?

that's what i was leaning towards so i'm glad you said that.

Yeah, hardwire is the way to go if you can. One less thing to worry about.

well its settled then looks like ill be doing some work in the crawlspace soon :) is it just the inherent unreliability of wireless or a security issue or some other reason that you guys say hard wire?

Plus, you can update the Apex as recommended by manufacturer, without much trouble.

Yeah you want hard wire, the APEX firmware updates fail regularly when run via wireless.

im looking for cable online to wire it up and the site im getting the plates, couplers and cables from has all its ethernet cable labled as patch. ive read that patch cables have the reciever and transmitter wires switched so should i look for something else?

heres what im looking at
http://www.showmecables.com/Category/Cat5e-Patch-Cables.aspx?q=&pg=1&ps=100&fq={attr_pinout_sm:Straight%20Through}&fq={attr_length_sm:25%20FT}&s=rel

Mine is wireless and I always have issues between the adapter and my router. Pain in the butt.

Beware of the online cat 5 I bought some on eBay the other day that said cat 5 it turn out to be 8 wire phone cable not twisted basically useless

I am big fan of hard wire I can't rely on wifi
Maybe in a few years wifi will be more stable
So I suffered painless hours draging cables through my house

How long of wire you need, i have a couple hundred feet i can cut you some and crimp 2 ends on it.
Cat. 5 ethernet sheilded

Aw man where were you guys at 11:30 when I placed my order lol? No big deal I talked with one of their guys and they told me that they were pinned straight through so I went ahead and ordered it. But I appreciate both your offers.

I could be wrong here but….

I believe you need one crossover between the router and the apex. If you go with a standard patch cord from router to apex it is a crossover and all is good. That patch cable can be 200’ long if you like but it is still a patch cord if it has the ends on it. If you put jacks in the middle and wire the cable between them straight through you will need to patch cables. That means two crossovers which result in a straight through connection which won’t work. The easy fix is to wire the cable between jacks as a crossover as well. That would result in three crossovers, two of which cancel each other out. Now, if you followed that, you may have a chance of understanding how a woman thinks one day. Making you smarter than any other man in history.

rdnelson99;1024731 wrote: I could be wrong here but….

I believe you need one crossover between the router and the apex. If you go with a standard patch cord from router to apex it is a crossover and all is good. That patch cable can be 200’ long if you like but it is still a patch cord if it has the ends on it. If you put jacks in the middle and wire the cable between them straight through you will need to patch cables. That means two crossovers which result in a straight through connection which won’t work. The easy fix is to wire the cable between jacks as a crossover as well. That would result in three crossovers, two of which cancel each other out. Now, if you followed that, you may have a chance of understanding how a woman thinks one day. Making you smarter than any other man in history.
I followed that until you mentioned something about a woman.... then I just tuned out

Hard wire for sure. The apex is buggy enough as is. No sense I adding another thing to the mix when you don't have to.

I've use Netgear but have a lone Ethernet cable I use for firmware updates. Works great but, I only use Fusion now anyway!!
Guess it's irrevelvent since you've already bought the wire!

rdnelson99;1024731 wrote: I could be wrong here but….

i'm glad you said something about it. ill look it up on the neptune forums and see if anyone has asked about it.

Back