Harlequin Asterinas

kirkwood

Market
Reaction score
For those that have used a Harlequin to eliminate asterinas - just wondering how long it took a harlequin to take care of business.

Please let me know your tank size, infestation level, and how long until you couldn't spot an asterina.

Further - did you propogate asterinas in your sump, remote fuge, separate tank, etc to sustain the harlequin or did you just sell to another needy reefer?

thanks

I have a 75 gallon tank and my infestation was high. So much so they were eating my zoas. I had him in the display for about a month and the sump for two weeks. I have forwarded him on to another member with the understanding if I see anymore, after he takes care of his 3 tanks I would like him back.
On a side note, the minute I put him in the tank the asterinas took for the high country. Within an hour there were several dozen climbing up the side of the tank, but the harlequin was able to get them all eventually.

I had a major infestation in a 90g tank. After three week I had to start buying starfish to feed the Harlequin, then ended giving it away because of the cost and effort to feed.

I am now facing what to do with the asterinas in the 180g tank. Not as bad as before... but I'll need to take action soon. I would rather not use a Harlequin, although they are attractive and fun to watch. (Plus it will be difficult to remove him from the 180).

NHannon8;1012176 wrote: I have a 75 gallon tank and my infestation was high. So much so they were eating my zoas. I had him in the display for about a month and the sump for two weeks. I have forwarded him on to another member with the understanding if I see anymore, after he takes care of his 3 tanks I would like him back.
On a side note, the minute I put him in the tank the asterinas took for the high country. Within an hour there were several dozen climbing up the side of the tank, but the harlequin was able to get them all eventually.

so basically there was no chance for the propogation of the asterina population to stay balanced with the harlequins appetite??

I wonder what size tank could find balance for a single harlequin.

The one I had went through a massive amount of asterinas in just a few weeks. I really didn't want the guy to starve so didn't try to see if the tank produced enough to keep him from starving.

Looking at other means controlling asterinas... seems that decreasing algae will decrease the number of asterinas. I don't think I have an algae problem... but perhaps that's because of the asterinas!

Adam from what I understand the asterina no matter how large the population the shrimp will eventually get them all or to a point of starving without you feeding it .

Tbub1221;1012228 wrote: Adam from what I understand the asterina no matter how large the population the shrimp will eventually get them all or to a point of starving without you feeding it .

I get your point.. i know for me my harlequin will only be a guest in the tank because at 60 gallons i can't sustain his appetite with asterinas alone - but he has a lot of work still to do ;-). But I really would think that a larger reef system could support 1 harlequin. Like a 210 or bigger. Especially if someone had a remote fuge loaded with asterinas. Of course I will have to wait until someone chimes in to support the theory.

Perhaps a couple of bumblebee shrimp? They supposedly have a preference for echinoderm tube feet like harlequins, but will accept other foods once the supply is exhausted.

I've seen them at Pure or SEA a few times in the last year.

Other option is to make nice with the folds at a few other sponsors that routinely handle large shipments of live rock - typically the wader pools are packed with 'em and you could probably buy bags of asterinas to use as live food on the cheap.

Kirkwood;1012234 wrote: I get your point.. i know for me my harlequin will only be a guest in the tank because at 60 gallons i can't sustain his appetite with asterinas alone - but he has a lot of work still to do ;-). But I really would think that a larger reef system could support 1 harlequin. Like a 210 or bigger. Especially if someone had a remote fuge loaded with asterinas. Of course I will have to wait until someone chimes in to support the theory.

GA Aquarium, whale shark exhibit. Hehe

I had two in my 450, scared the snot out of my infestation in a month max.

Back