Has anyone found the secret to clean centerbraces?

derek_s

Market
Reaction score
I have an oceanc tank with the glass centerbrace, and have found it impossible to keep clean. Has anyone found a solution? I have thought about rain-ex'ing it or something to help repel the water and salt spray. Or would salt creet eliminator work?

corvettecris;222791 wrote: I have an oceanc tank with the glass centerbrace, and have found it impossible to keep clean. Has anyone found a solution? I have thought about rain-ex'ing it or something to help repel the water and salt spray. Or would salt creet eliminator work?
Either turn off your flow, or just get used to it. There is no way i'd put rain-x anywhere near my tank.

corvettecris;222791 wrote: I have an oceanc tank with the glass centerbrace, and have found it impossible to keep clean. Has anyone found a solution? I have thought about rain-ex'ing it or something to help repel the water and salt spray. Or would salt creet eliminator work?

Chris,
The only thing I would try myself in that situation, would be to use some distilled vinegar that was poured on a paper towel, taking care to not soak it to the point where it would drip into the water. I would lower the water level a couple inches to give you some room to work if needed. wipe the bottom of the center glass down with the vinegar soaked paper towel, let it soak a bit, then wipe off to dry with another paper towel. Repeat if needed. The vinegar will help with the scale buildup.

Before doing the above, you might also want to scrape with a razor blade to get most off so you don't have to wipe down with the vinegar too many times. The acidic vinegar should dissolve the buildup. It is just not as efficient as a good vinegar soak like with a powerhead, so you may have to repeat a few times.

Also, before you start, dry off the underside of the brace before you wipe with the vinegar so any water droplets don't carry the vinegar into the water
Dave

Good points.

I have tries scraping it, but it only lasts for so short a time. I hate that brace.

Yeaah, I can get it clean... it's just keeping it clean. I wish there was some easy way to raise the water level to just submerge the bottom of it.

no possible way sir....I've given up on my acrylic brace. Thankfully I have some powerfully lights so it goes right thu it.

I just have a powerful hammer to go right through it. But hten what... boo hoo.

Back